Notices

What's the relationship between the Ovi store and the Ovi catalogue in application manager?

Last edited by manyoranges; 2010-12-07 at 13:06. Reason: corrected capitalisation

They are married but without children.

The application manager uses the Ovi catalogue repository to download stuff from ovi or check for updates. A simple question for you what does happen when you "download" application from ovi store?

Right, so the Ovi store provides a .install to application manager which goes off and downloads the application?

I'm guessing each application also has some sort of flag set preventing it from being announced publicly in the repository?

Kinda, they as far as I know Nokia modified the apt-get/app manager a little to prevent paid applications to be downloaded free of charge. How exactly this restriction is made I don`t know. If you wish to download content without paying... sure it is possible but don`t discuss it here please.

Oh, I'm not trying to get paid applications free.

After I ran into a single application from the Ovi catalogue in application manager, I just became curious as to how the whole thing worked.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by manyoranges View Post
Right, so the Ovi store provides a .install to application manager which goes off and downloads the application?
For free applications, yes. For any paid-for applications the Ovi store will provide the .deb file to application manager to install.

Originally Posted by manyoranges View Post
I'm guessing each application also has some sort of flag set preventing it from being announced publicly in the repository?
Yes, all apps in the ovi store are flagged as hidden, so don't show up in app manager (and aren't installable by the provided apt-get release).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post: