Notices

Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
gemniii42: Teleportation? Maybe in a future version

Tabster: The similarity is no accident -- see the README file
My complaint is that the 'real' tricorder viewing screen is so tiny -- even if there is room for a larger one

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
Originally Posted by cdmackay View Post
adjust the volume?
Then all the other sounds are messed up :-(.

But the solution was simple enough, take the .deb apart here on this linux box, load scan.wav into audacity, amplify to about -18db (guess, it took several passes to get it right) and transfer via BT to the N800 and copy to the appropriate place. Woiks GOOD !

by the way: don't open the camera whilst it's running; first time ever I managed to hang up my n800.
I'd forgotten there was a camera in there . Easier to take a pix with the cell phone and BT it over. Even as bad as the cell phone cam is, I can recognize stuff shot with that :-(.

Found a pix of me over here and hacked it to size and renamed it to user.jpg and sent that to the n800 via BT and copied that to the right place.

Just tooooooooo COOOOOOOL!!!

Thanks again Dare!

Heh, I have one of those tricorder thingies and have been SLOWLY moving toward hacking it to be "real" (heh). Cut out all the light bumps and instal LEDs, hack a screen in and buttons, add a microcontroller to the mix and it could be interesting.

Dare saves me a lot of work . Much appreciated :-).

Having fun now !
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Originally Posted by darethehair View Post
Tabster: The similarity is no accident -- see the README file
I had a quick look around but see no readme file. I am guessing the File manager is not able to see it wherever it is?

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
Originally Posted by Tabster View Post
I had a quick look around but see no readme file. I am guessing the File manager is not able to see it wherever it is?
Guessing here, but the file manager as user user will not allow you to see anything in the rootfs other than the SD cards.

I unpacked the .deb on this box to get at the readme and the files I wanted to hack and then copied them over via BT and moved them from the root account which I ssh'd into.

Yes, it *IS* rather *frustrating*, probably more of nokia's lawyers work. On any other linux box I have you can look anyplace for the most part. Ignore loud grumbling sounds - this is just what happens when the money boys get involved with open source.
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Yup, but you can use a different file mugger, e.g emelFM2:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/emelfm2/

which can see it fine (under /usr/lib/tricorder)

The Following User Says Thank You to cdmackay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cdmackay View Post
Yup, but you can use a different file mugger, e.g emelFM2:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/emelfm2/

which can see it fine (under /usr/lib/tricorder)
thanks - works great

Wow - Dare! Thanks for the readme files also. lots of good info there

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
Sorry for the bit of 'pain' getting to the docs and data files. This whole concept of 'packaging' an application for the N8xx is brand new to me. I myself feel totally comfortable with a CLI (command line interface), but for someone that just wants to use a GUI it must be a bit frustrating.

From other examples I have seen, applications typically create a directory in '/usr/lib/xxx', and then put the application and other pieces under that. I did the same thing for '/usr/lib/tricorder'. In that directory is the actual program (tricorder.py), but also a subdirectory named 'data' (where the sound/gfx live), and one named 'doc' (where the various docs live).

Probably the only way to make this somehow easier is to have a 'help' menu option or something, but I don't see that as typical in 'pygame' applications that I have looked at.

Anyways, it doesn't sound as though anyone's Nokia has blown up yet using my app, which is good news to me

EDIT: Quick web page created to make this a bit easier, including README:
http://members.shaw.ca/dmenns2/software.html

Last edited by darethehair; 2008-03-07 at 00:11. Reason: More info

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darethehair For This Useful Post:
That's pretty awesome

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
btw: in Debian-based systems, such as Maemo, docs normally go under /usr/share/doc/$pkg