Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sunnydips For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
Nice review - and one I have not seen before. Thanks for the link =b
What I especially liked was the rubber rollup keyboard. Never thought about one before.

icke

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
That is a great review. You can't beat a more full sized keyboard when writing. I purchased a Nokia bluetooth keyboard and was disapointed with the inabillity to control the repeat character delay -- very annoying. Next I tried the roolup. Mine took a bit to get used to. It required a more deliberate keypress to insure the charcter is inputted.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for the link! Even though I have not touched my 'N800' webpage for a long time, I added the link to the 'reviews' section:

http://darethehair.no-ip.org/dmenns2/n800.html

(it sometimes takes a little while for the content to refresh)

The Following User Says Thank You to darethehair For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA

I'm thinkin' that even after the devices mentioned are compared...

Originally Posted by maramusa
...the devices ‘that do everything’ are coming. The iPhone 3G, HTC Touch Pro , HTC T-Mobile G1, Sumsung Omnia , HTC Advantage X7510, Sony Xperia X1 , LG KC910 Renoir and Samsung M8800 Pixon are mighty foes, with many more on the way. In this review I will only look at the features that benefit your travel.
...and perhaps years later, after "many more do all devices' are looked at, the N810 might still be considered as the best device that will benefit a back-pack, world traveler.

It is MHO that for many years later, the NIT 8's will still be the best device for uses some of us haven't even imagined, or posted about yet.

Well... unless you factor in the lower cost of a previous-generation device (instead of comparing them by launch prices), I'd think the RX-51 is pretty likely to beat the N810. The competitors listed are questionable, though -- too many compromises to cram them into a "phone" formfactor, and inferior OSes.

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida
here's a blog dedicated to the n810 that i came across today

http://andrew.daviel.org/n810-blog.html

The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydips For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Not to be the nay-sayer here, but didn't anyone else notice that XJournal is only listed under OS2006, and HTtrack/WebHTtrack don't seem to load from the maemo web site (or maybe it's just me, or maybe it's just today, or ...)

Excellent article -- maybe I should've written up a similar one for my recent trip (just returned last night)... I really could've used something like httrack/webhtrack ...

The Following User Says Thank You to fattomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
@fattomm: I believe both are in the extras repo.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Well... unless you factor in the lower cost of a previous-generation device (instead of comparing them by launch prices), I'd think the RX-51 is pretty likely to beat the N810. The competitors listed are questionable, though -- too many compromises to cram them into a "phone" formfactor, and inferior OSes.
That's exactly what I'm doing... The uses I spoke of may require a low cost, semi rugged device. No doubt RX-51 will be more than capable of providing the features needed but one thing is for certain, the cost of what RX-51 will be wrapped in will drive the price of the NIT 8's down even further once it is released.

These prices will continue to drop until a new demand force is applied. As existing NIT applications develop, some may reach a point where cost and usability meet a niche of hobbyist's or enthusiast's.

An example could be as simple as an Astronomy Program. As it develops it may be seen being used by some notable observer of planetary nebulae. A star-star if you will, LoL. Word gets out on the Planetary Nebulae forums at just about the same time backyard amateur astronomy takes off as a low cost past time during these bleak economic times.

BAM! Demand for used NIT 8's go up and so do prices on e-bay & Craig's List.

Kind of like how you sometimes see a notable bands guitarist playing his Strat through a small Marshall tube amp Mic'ed up through a big $$$$, digital sound system. These tube amps haven't been made for years but purist's swear by the sound they produce. As a result, tube amps of all kinds have become rare because of this niche demand.

EDIT: Regard... >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNo6p...layer_embedded

... a use not yet imagined when I originally posted.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-02-25 at 23:15. Reason: Add video