The entire reason for Nokia and other manufacturers (including Motorola, Samsung, Sony Ericsson etc) founding Symbian over ten years ago was to stop Windows dominating mobile computing. They shared ownership of the platform with no single company having control, and Bill Gates was very very very very pissed off ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/05...etary_symbian/ ). The use of Linux on the Maemo tablets was another step towards ensuring no one controlled mobile ecosystems.

Personally, I don't want to see Nokia's good name used to sneak closed platforms like Windows into people's pockets. That's absolutely totally the opposite of what the company has worked for in its mobile computing history.

So, as painful as this is to suggest, Nokia itself now has to be stopped. Except for the name, it's no longer the company it was, it is no longer in control of itself. It is effectively under occupation, just a tool for Microsoft.

And here's what makes this situation particularly scary: Microsoft want Nokia to be their new IBM, and it might work if no one stops them.

Thanks to their massive manufacturing chains, the lowest price Nokia smartphone (the 5230) only costs about $100 (that's unlocked and without a contract!), and it's getting even cheaper all the time. This low price point is the main reason Nokia devices are so dominant globally, as they are a highly-trusted brand in the developing world and sell products that even the poorest users can afford. That's the global reach that Microsoft wants, and taking over Nokia's phones would very quickly give Windows a huge userbase worldwide. And that might force other manufacturers switch to Windows too, just as they were forced to on PCs.

Then, when Windows has taken over the mobile world too, Nokia will be forgotten as the cheapest no-brand clones take over the hardware market. This is what happened when DOS/Windows took over before the clone PC market established itself, with IBM as the original trojan horse that faded into the background.

To put this in simple terms, if we want to be true to the old pro-open Nokia's spirit, we have to take down the grotesque trojan horse that Microsoft has turned Nokia into.

So, how can this be done?

Well, firstly a note about the three-way race concept: it might be true in rich countries, but most smartphone users are not in rich countries. Globally, most smartphone users cannot afford to buy an iPhone. And, unlike other OS makers, Apple has never shown any interest in the true global mass market. Apple has never properly licensed its OS to other manufacturers so there's no way for cheap clones to use it.

IMHO the most promising option by far is supporting Android:

- While Google's involvement is scary, Android is still much more open than Windows or iOS

- Android is appearing on ever-cheaper devices (the current cheapest Android is about $200 unlocked without a contract)

- Android has overtaken Symbian in volume sales, and is clearly the platform's most plausible rival

- Android now has support from most major manufacturers, so there's a good choice of hardware at many different price points.

For the old open Nokia's sake, let's try to make life as difficult as possible for the bad new closed Nokia. We should pre-emptively discourage ordinary non-OS-aware users from buying any devices or products with the Nokia brand, and help OS-aware users avoid Symbian, or "transition" away from Symbian onto Android before Windows gets any kind of chance.

If Android can take over globally before Nokia starts shipping Windows in cheap smartphones, then Microsoft's takeover of Nokia will have been tragic but ultimately pointless.

And on as a nice little bonus, if the takeover makes Symbian users switch to Android instead, then by doing this takeover Microsoft would have actually shot themselves in the foot, which would be quite satisfying.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
It's too late. Just let it go. Take a holiday in the new democratic republic of Egypt. Check out the river Nile.

1865-2011
R.I.P

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Y-y-you are a blasphemous Android Trojan!!

We will not be blinded by your smooth talkin Google powered ways!!
Jk
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
there is only one way too change Nokias dumbest biggest mistake ever.

Make zillion apps for Qt working for Meego/Maemo and symbian!! Make then sure they are OviStore compatible so they get zillion apps in the store == sell more apps sell more symbianphones/N900 phones.

but this will never happen. No pro developers will make apps for qt now when they now they Nokia goess .NET.

And many OSS devels has already reconsidered go WebOS or android even if it not open like maemo/meego.

I wish we could do something cause Qt/Quick and Meego was right direction but I guess Elop and the Selfish Microsoft guys won the game

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-02-13 at 11:53.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
For me I won't ever advice my non-geek friends to buy M$+Nokia products, and trust me I am quite a listened tech source for them. I'll advice symbian, maemo, meego if it comes out with a product, whatever. Do the same as me, see how M$+Nokia sales decrease, smile and f. Elop off

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
For me I won't ever advice my non-geek friends to buy M$+Nokia products, and trust me I am quite a listened tech source for them. I'll advice symbian, maemo, meego if it comes out with a product, whatever. Do the same as me, see how M$+Nokia sales decrease, smile and f. Elop off
I planed too buy Nokias NFC phone C7 too my workphone until Elop said WP7. Now I dont sure anymore. I dont want too feed Microsoft indirecly. I mean for every sold phone from Nokia most of the money will go back to the engineer working with WP7.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Sorry, but I have to disagree. When one day the only choice will be between Windows and Android, I'll buy 3 Windows phones before I even touch Android. Both are morally "bad", but in addition to that, Google is scary... and it's particularly frightning because it still fools people with a friendly face, whereas MS just wears its ugly, but honest business suit.

I'll continue to buy Symbian (and maybe MeeGo) as long as they're available and as long as there's no alternative on the market. But there's no way I'll ever support Google.

Last edited by benny1967; 2011-02-13 at 12:19.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I think people are overreacting a bit
Situation is different from the Microsoft/IBM era, because MS/Nokia are just starting, but Android is already strong/well established.

Nokia would also have had their ecosystem on top of meego, only for Nokia users, and provide developer tools. They are not saints.

I am against this deal because its beneficial for MS but disastrous for Nokia in the long term. Except Elop has a good exit strategy, but I doubt it.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
LOL!

"We have to stop the New Nokia"