Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Epic. Lauta project coming up right already?
3 projects running...never really understood what you meant with Lauta so it will be intressting to see what you come up with, if you come up with it.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
I have a cons with the original Jolla Tablet. I was wondering if any of these are fixed in the design of Youyota. I doubt it, but you never know.

1. The tablet takes a long time to fully charged. Despite being powered down and connected to a wall charger it takes about an hour to charge 10%.

2. If I stress it (eg. play an Android game like Uno & Friends) the tablet becomes quite hot and within 15 min. will get a warning to close all apps.

3. And it's power hungry too. It's not uncommon to close 10% charge while playing for 5 minutes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Epic. Lauta project coming up right already?
3 projects running...never really understood what you meant with Lauta so it will be intressting to see what you come up with, if you come up with it.
Actually 2 running, strictly speaking just one (Moto Keyboard), the Youyota Tablet more Michael's but I also consider that mine.

QWERTY phone project hasn't started yet, but a lot things needs to be prepared in advance, so as soon as I finish the other two I can start working on it immediately. Resources needs to be reserved in advance.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
I have a cons with the original Jolla Tablet. I was wondering if any of these are fixed in the design of Youyota. I doubt it, but you never know.

1. The tablet takes a long time to fully charged. Despite being powered down and connected to a wall charger it takes about an hour to charge 10%.

2. If I stress it (eg. play an Android game like Uno & Friends) the tablet becomes quite hot and within 15 min. will get a warning to close all apps.

3. And it's power hungry too. It's not uncommon to close 10% charge while playing for 5 minutes.
Won't 100% guarantee but we will look at it. More of a power management issue to me. And I also had the battery issue previously as well. Will try to work with Jolla together to improve it, there is definitely some room of it.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Won't 100% guarantee but we will look at it. More of a power management issue to me. And I also had the battery issue previously as well. Will try to work with Jolla together to improve it, there is definitely some room of it.
Well sounds awesome. I'm tempted to buy a Youyota despite already owning a Jolla Tablet

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Actually 2 running, strictly speaking just one (Moto Keyboard), the Youyota Tablet more Michael's but I also consider that mine.

QWERTY phone project hasn't started yet, but a lot things needs to be prepared in advance, so as soon as I finish the other two I can start working on it immediately. Resources needs to be reserved in advance.
Oh, I thought you were Michael too. So you are Chen? And then Micheal? And who else? No need to answer that.

Why no Michael here?

Resources needs to be reserved in advance? As in what ...example?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
I'm _very_ interesting by this project, being a proud owner of a Jolla C, and having thought about how cool would be having a SFOS device with a bigger screen and a keyboard.

But the battery drain issue reported by many in the Jolla Tablet worries me, specially the fact that it only lasts a couple of days when idle with Wi-Fi enabled.

Is there a developer thread somewhere with more (low level) info about this? Do we have powertop reports (or suspend stats, or ftrace logs, or...) to look at? Where can I find the kernel sources?

On the other hand, I read somewhere that the original Jolla Tablet used UEFI and SecureBoot, requiring a signed kernel. Is that true? Would be also the case for the Youyota Tablet?

Thanks!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to slp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by slp View Post
Is there a developer thread somewhere with more (low level) info about this? Do we have powertop reports (or suspend stats, or ftrace logs, or...) to look at? Where can I find the kernel sources?
You will find some more information about the battery issue at TJC here and here.

I don't know if it also contains the kernel sources but the SFOS sources are uploaded here: http://releases.sailfishos.org/sources/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
Well sounds awesome. I'm tempted to buy a Youyota despite already owning a Jolla Tablet
Just do it! (I did)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoOppen For This Useful Post:
@Kabouik:

I'm going back to China later this week to finalise the Moto keyboard Mod business. The moulding of the sliding frame plus the hinge indeed is a tough job but we are close to finish. By the time Moto Keyboard is shipping I will start kicking off Lauta-revival project.

With the all in one sliding keyboard, thickness can be greatly reduced (>7mm reduced from Moto Mods)

Rather than Pyra, I want to make a more general keyboard device for every-day use. A good looking product, and can last at least for a few years.

Planned:

- LTE Cat6 support (number of bands depend on the upfront cost. Likely to be 4 or 5 so there will be 2 versions)

- Full QWERTY support with the hinge that can lift the screen (Not exactly same as N950/Lauta but more like Touch Pro 2, you can change the angle)

- 5.0"+ screen. I know this will be a disappoint for some, but you can't find anything reliable and decent below this size, unless someone gives me 1M USD and I can develop a 4-inch decent solution myself...

- Part of the device will use metal, similar to the N950 - again I want everyone can proudly show the device unlike some chunky monsters... And the overall thickness will be controlled. Likely around 12mm. (To ensure a good sized removable battery)

- User can of course remove and replace the battery, when it dies

- Regarding OS - this requires some work and need to analyse the total cost. But I can promise bootloader won't be locked and won't only be AOSP. (Not even considering pre-load with Google service)

- By JUL/AUG when I close the Moto Keyboard project and Youyota production line starts, I will reveal more design work and pictures...
Forgot to mention also there won't be using a sim tool/pin to release sim/sd card. The modern smartphones are ABSOLUTELY STUPID. I don't know why everyone follows Apple that you need to carry a pin just for swapping sim card. Or they never travel?

Anyway I wish I never use that stupid pin again*.

*Maybe as a tooth pick...

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os