Notices

Any eta on .zip and .rar support? This is one of the last barriers between this device and a truly PC-free experience

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen
As stated above, both unrar and unzip are found in extras-devel (even though I haven't had any problems installing these rather small command line utilities, there is always a risk involved in installing from this repository, so do it at your own risk).

I also found out that the xarchiver GUI frontend in the diablo extras devel seems to work out of the box on the n900. You can find it here:
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...emo2_armel.deb

But again, even though the installation of this hasn't caused any problems for me, it might not be the case for you, so do it at your own risk.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to filologen For This Useful Post:
btw, what is the command line for decompressing files?
nvm d, found the GUI. Btw... is the apps for tar and tar.gz files only? is there any way to add the files type?

Last edited by MaxJP; 2010-04-16 at 15:53.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by MaxJP View Post
btw, what is the command line for decompressing files?
With what? For rar it's "unrar x filename.rar", and for zip it's "unzip filename.zip". I think it's "7z x filename" for 7zip, but I don't use that one much so I don't know. You can always use "-h", "-?" or "--help" - one of those will work with most commands.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
thanks! Coz I'm new to Linux... and just got my N900 few days ago...

Originally Posted by filologen View Post
As stated above, both unrar and unzip are found in extras-devel (even though I haven't had any problems installing these rather small command line utilities, there is always a risk involved in installing from this repository, so do it at your own risk).
Then why aren't they moved to extras-testing?