Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
but how we turn it off?

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Eugene, Or
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
but how we turn it off?
bump, i want to disable it completely.

The Following User Says Thank You to Clayton For This Useful Post:
I agree, I find the light kind of obnoxious, not to mention it makes it harder to get candid shots of friends doing stupid s**t. It would be cool if it could be repurposed perhaps a focus indicator (for taking pictures of oneself?).

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Eugene, Or
Exactly.

bump - any ideas.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
It's enabled via an ioctl (done by the camera app itself, I believe) on the camera's devfs entry, not by MCE.

V4L2_CID_INDICATOR_INTENSITY... that's the one - search http://repository.maemo.org/pool/fre....6+0m5.diff.gz for it.
If i understand this correctly, there is no software way to prevent the light
If it's true that it doesn't do anything practical (try to cover it and take pictures in all sorts of situations), then hardware butchering sounds like the only way.
You could:

*tape it over
*kill the led (might be surface mounted ~ harder to kill)

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester UK
The light is there solely for the purpose of allowing other parties the knowledge that they are being filmed. It is the same on all recording devices (UK anyway) be it your mobile phone or camcorder. Why do you want it disabled unless you like to sneakily film people? I haven't got a problem with the light being on as I'm not hiding in a bush or filming people who dont want to be filmed or not know that they are being filmed. If you need to disable this light then you have to question what exactly is it that you are filming.

Originally Posted by vyper1 View Post
The light is there solely for the purpose of allowing other parties the knowledge that they are being filmed. It is the same on all recording devices (UK anyway) be it your mobile phone or camcorder. Why do you want it disabled unless you like to sneakily film people?
This is Big Brother ******** as far as I'm concerned. Do you think real photographers use cameras that are gimped in this way? Anyhow they can use a huge optics and zoom in on you from far away, and you'll never know.

Anyhow i can give you a recent example that happened to me recently where the red light was an annoyance and nobody's privacy was violated.

I was at an art museum, and I decided to take pictures of a couple paintings. Photography was allowed, but there was a big sign saying no flash. So I try to take a picture, and the stupid red light kicks in... it's not a flash but it is clearly visible on the painting, annoying everyone around. I say **** that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to feydrutha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by feydrutha View Post
This is Big Brother ******** as far as I'm concerned. Do you think real photographers use cameras that are gimped in this way? Anyhow they can use a huge optics and zoom in on you from far away, and you'll never know.

Precisely!

Think about it realistically, how much brainpower does it require for your would-be perv to put a bit of black sticky tape over the led.
People are too quick to blame the technology instead of addressing the real issues which in turn leads to normal users being presumed guilty based upon the few who digress. This applies from red camera leds, all the way to DRM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cas07 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester UK
Yes the red light can be annoying at times but it only stays on when shooting video so taking a snap of some paintings isn't really an issue as it's not even activated. Yes there are many ways to covertly photo/film people but again why do you want to hide the fact that you are recording them or taking their picture. All I'm saying is that the light was put there for a reason.

i bump this......regardless vyper if it was put there for a reason or not some ppl like myself dont want it there. just like mod'ing the intro video. nokia wants us to watch hands embrace but most of us could care less. ive also made videos in bad lighting and the light has actually hindered video quality.