Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
May I ask why the preference to OS 7.5 rather than possibly OS8?
Was 8 not a significant improvement from 7.5.3? Does 7.5.3 just run better in this format?

I am trying Basilisk II with Mac OS 8.1... one quirk is that scroll-boxes within scroll-bars do not move... the scroll-arrows are the only means to scroll. Are you seeing this as well with Mac OS 7.5.5 under Basilisk II.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Originally Posted by iontruo2 View Post
May I ask why the preference to OS 7.5 rather than possibly OS8?
Was 8 not a significant improvement from 7.5.3? Does 7.5.3 just run better in this format?
Mac OS 7.5.3 is a free download from Apple so most tutorials are based on installing it.

Mac OS 7.6.x and 8.x is not free, being still a retail product and covered by copyright laws, but available from places like eBay.

I note all this on my Basilisk II on yout NIT website: http://home.tampabay.rr.com/osemu/n800/b2/

Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
I am trying Basilisk II with Mac OS 8.1... one quirk is that scroll-boxes within scroll-bars do not move... the scroll-arrows are the only means to scroll. Are you seeing this as well with Mac OS 7.5.5 under Basilisk II.
That was an old Mac OS 8.x bug with the source code being used to port to the NIT. Later versions of Basilisk II JIT fixed that problem, but it's source code is not currently portable to NIT. System 7.1 to System 7.6.1 do not have that quirk on the NIT port of B2.

Last edited by OSEmuTech; 2008-02-23 at 16:19.

Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
Xlibs installs ok, but not libxpm4... wants libxau0. N800 with OS 2008, red pill enabled, trying to install with app manager. Libxau6 shows as an already installed library.
Hi. You need to add a Bora repository to add libxau0.

http://gronmayer.com/it/dl.php?id=44

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This is very cool. Nice work, Emu!

Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
Mac OS 7.5.3 is a free download from Apple so most tutorials are based on installing it.

Mac OS 7.6.x and 8.x is not free, being still a retail product and covered by copyright laws, but available from places like eBay.

I note all this on my Basilisk II on yout NIT website: http://home.tampabay.rr.com/osemu/n800/b2/
Emu,

Thanks for the work and this thread on B2. Besides the issue of cost for any Mac OS version greater than v7.5.5, there's the issue of systems requirements. Though not the nimblest release in its day, Mac OS 7.5.5 and needs no more than a 16 MB of RAM and a 16 Mhz processor to run comfortably... Apple claims it can run in 4 MB (6 MB if using Open Transport, 8 MB if running OpenDOC, Powertalk and Quickdraw GX).

The requirements of Mac OS 8.x in contrast are for at least 12 MB of physical RAM with virtual memory set to at least 20 MB... virtual memory appeared with Mac OS 7.6. For this v7.6, the RAM requirements are for 8 MB of installed RAM, with an additional 8 MB of either real RAM or virtual memory.

I remember buying a MacWorld magazine that had an awesome article about the upcoming release of System 7.5. I just so had to buy a Mac to run the revolutionary operating system, so I bought the super-fast Power Performa 6115CD with the incredible 601\60 MHz processor, a whopping 8 MB of RAM, and humongous 350 MB hard drive for only $2500 USD (not including interest).

My happiest computing days were probably when each 7.5 update was released (7.5.1 - 7.5.5). And I hacked SoftWindows 95 to run Windows for Workgroups 3.11 at a decent speed back then.

As Basilisk II has no MMU emulation, the Mac OS does not use virtual memory. If the host platform Basilisk II is running on does not have the memory alloted to Basilisk II in .basilisk_ii_prefs, Basilisk II with use the host platform's virtual memory.

System 7.6.1 can be run decently with under 8 MB of RAM. And a bare-bones Mac OS 8.x can be run with 8 MB of RAM, but the installer requires 12 MB or higher IIRC.

BTW: I am very thankful that t3h took the time to enhance Basilisk II for the NIT. Even after 9 years of running Basilisk II, I'm still excited with running the Mac OS on a non-Mac, in this case on a PDA that fits in my pocket. I hope people who try Basilisk II out find the emulator to be one of the coolest (and useful) things to run on their NIT.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I've been experimenting with keycodes. It seems to me that the n810 keyboard cannot be used with Basilisk because I can't see how to enable the Fn key. It could work if the mac ROM were aware of a keyboard with the same layout of the n810 keyboard, but unfortunately this is a completely non-standard layout many years to come if we go back to the nineties :-)

One solution could be a mac program (extension?) written to transform single keys and keys combinations. The Fn key could be mapped to some other mac-aware key, and the combination between the latter and a char key could be made to match the blue 2nd function key.

Any hint? The alternative is only matchbox-keyboard, by now, as far as I can understand.

I need some help. Tried exactly as described but when I run "./BasiliskII" I only get "Cannot open ROM file". I downloaded QUAD650.ROM.