Notices

Posts: 478 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester
1st I am not sure if this should be here or in the development thread. Sorry if this is in the wrong place and feel free to move it.

I was thinking today about how good it would be to play to lemmings natively on my N900 (I'm sure I could play through an emulator or dosbox but it isn't the same). I then thought that maybe this would be a great opportunity for me to learn something...

I have no real experience in developing anything; a little bit of VB I learnt from a book a few years ago, a little look at the SDK and a go at forking and compiling wOOts rotation daemon, but I am sure with some help I will be able to do something.

I have looked on-line for an open source lemmings and found pingus which I think would be perfect so I have downloaded the source code to my ubuntu VM.

My plan was to move them from here to scratch box and compile it to see what happened but I realised that I do not know how I would move things into from ubuntu to scratchbox so thought I could upload the source to git, the fork it to scratchbox but that is where I got stuck. I have no idea how to commit the source to git.

I am hoping a kind soul on here will be willing to guide me through what needs to be done to get pingus working or at the very least throw some links at me with info on where to start,

Edit: I have the source code in scratchbox now but am struggling to compile it.

Don't forget the thanks button if I helped you

Last edited by mornage; 2010-08-10 at 18:17.

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
You need boost and scons to compile pingus
Those librarys are in repositories, but I didn't try them.
Pingus should compile when you get them

OK, I have kind of worked out github a bit and now have pushed the source code to the repo (http://github.com/mornage/Maemo-pingus). I'm hoping this will make is easier for people to give me advice.

I cannot get it to compile in scratch box though. qmake alone requires arguments. qmake -project creates .pro file that enables me to run qmake to create a make file. make then fails
Code:
 src/file_reader.hpp:41: error: 'boost' has not been declared
src/file_reader.hpp:41: error: expected `)' before '<' token
src/file_reader.hpp:81: error: 'boost' has not been declared
src/file_reader.hpp:81: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'shared_ptr' with no type
src/file_reader.hpp:81: error: expected ';' before '<' token
In file included from src/action_holder.cpp:21:
src/pingus_level.hpp:92: error: 'boost' has not been declared
src/pingus_level.hpp:92: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'shared_ptr' with no type
src/pingus_level.hpp:92: error: expected ';' before '<' token
make: *** [action_holder.o] Error 1

Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
You need boost and scons to compile pingus
Those librarys are in repositories, but I didn't try them.
Pingus should compile when you get them
I got scons but cannot get boost.

From the install.unix file it tells me
Code:
apt-get install libboost-signals-dev libboost-dev
but scratchbox cannot find those packages. apt-get install boost isn't found either.

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Well, from what I found out libboost-dev is avaible for Fremantle from Extras-Devel (I think you have to enable it in scratchbox too to be able to get th lbboost-dev) but libboost-signals-dev is only avaible for Diablo, so you have to port it yourself to Fremantle.

Oh no!!!! I don't have a clue how I would port that!

I did get libboost-dev though, thanks. Make did get further too but failed again, probably because I'm missing -signals-

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
As far as I know it's just a matter of a recompile (and possibly optifying), but I think you should wait until somebody who actually has ported something replyes since I haven't even tryed to compile anything ever in my life.

Thanks, I found a guide explaining how to port a diablo app to fremantle. It is in the process of packaging now so hopefully I will soon be able to at least compile pingus.

The Following User Says Thank You to mornage For This Useful Post:
Sounds great and I hope you will have success!

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sydney
FWIW, I installed Pingus inside Easy Debian chroot. It actually works pretty well as long as you set the right screen size. However the control isn't really designed for a touchscreen. So, for example, I keep selecting the wrong pingus or action which could ruin the game completely.

Looking forward to a true Maemo port.