Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Google.
Palm. hp.
Cisco. Linksys.
(just about all network gears equipment maker)
Moto.
Lenovo.
IBM.
...and, to add a few more:

Nokia (kernel, Gtk+, Qt,gstreamer, ...).
Apple (WebKit, BSD).
MySQL
Sun, now Oracle (Java, OOo, Solaris, MySQL)

Let's look at the Linux kernel contributions for a single version (2.6.39). In order of lines changed, the top 10 are:
  1. Intel
  2. Volunteers
  3. Red Hat
  4. Nokia
  5. Texas Instruments
  6. Unknown
  7. Realsil Micro
  8. IBM
  9. Consultant
  10. Broadcom

The companies mentioned above are just a very very small fraction of those who have made HUGE amount of money by selling products/services powered by opensource components. (And managed to align their interests, somewhat, with the FOSS movement still).
Absolutely.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You're confusing innovative with disruptive.

A technology must be effective and reach critical mass to be disruptive.
I think this point is valid but I wonder about the original choice of the word disruptive because, usually, I think of it as being used in the context of an action that creates a disturbance that interfers with getting things done like a disruptive student in classroom making it impossible for a lesson to be taught. Although this may be the case as, since the release of the teaser, it appears to me that less progress has been made in maemo due to all the distractions!

My guess is that the intention was to connotate that the new device represents such an advance that people will now change the way they do things and will not go back to the old ways. In this sense I would say the new device would have an impact on how we do things but it is not neccesarily disruptive.

Then I have to ask, what device to be demonstrated on June 21 is actually disruptive from Nokia's point of view? Although the word disruptive has been used with the n9 in past announcements, why would a "niche' device be considered disruptive? I would think, in Nokia's view that the disruptive device is the MS one as they have chosen this OS to put their energy into and hope to make an impact with.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ London, UK
I don't care what anyone says about marketing strategies, disruptive products or how comfortable it feels to be one of the masses. The N900 was a game changing device for me, allowing me to easily do stuff on the road that _no_ other device as small as this can do (well apart from the Pandora perhaps, but that's not a phone). And it does this without making me feel like I've been gang raped by a bunch of imperious marketing execs. My previous phones include BB Bold 9000, HTC Hero and iPhone 3 and they're all collecting dust here. Will I be getting the N9? You bet.

2012 update:

So I finally got my N9 and after bonding for a couple of weeks I can say it's everything I hoped it would be and more! Well done Nokia for coming up with another winner - this is by far the best smartphone currently on the market. Multitasking like a workstation, ultra precise haptic feedback, oodles of connectivity options, power tools for power users, envy inducing screen, sleek and sexy yet built like a tank, highly intuitive UI, brilliant copy & paste, real file manager, super fast browser, Ovi Maps, Wi-Fi hotspot, FOSS, SIP, OTG, NFC, OGG. I think I'm in Love!

Last edited by Lomax; 2012-01-09 at 20:00.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Lomax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
i don't think Google has much to do w/ open source.
their advertisement technology certainly isn't, is it?
nor are the search crawlers technology.
Google would still be a garage startup without open source. That small startup would never have been able to afford to build the required server farms for Google Search, if it had had to pay for commercial license for all those machines. Arguably, the biggest reason for Google taking over the search market wasn't their superior search algorithms, but being one of the first companies to truly take advantage of Linux servers on massive scale.

Oh and then there's that Google OS based on open source code. It's called Robot or something like that.

Last edited by Rauha; 2011-06-17 at 19:26.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
The N900 was a game changing device for me, allowing me to easily do stuff on the road that _no_ other device as small as this can do
Agreed, the N900 is an amazing device. Best integrated communications suite I've seen in a phone, very nice browser, camera, FM transmitter.

And open enough that I can do anything I could do on my computer with it, though obviously the small screen and keyboard make many of those activities unergonomic. I've fixed servers from it via SSH, and I've committed code to Git repositories. There are not many mobile devices matching that.

No wonder N900 is still the most popular phone in many geek events, despite being quite old as far as smartphones go.

I'm really happy to see both the Community SSU and MeeGo Community Edition giving it more life.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I think this point is valid but I wonder about the original choice of the word disruptive because, usually, I think of it as being used in the context of an action that creates a disturbance that interfers with getting things done like a disruptive student in classroom making it impossible for a lesson to be taught. Although this may be the case as, since the release of the teaser, it appears to me that less progress has been made in maemo due to all the distractions!
It's all about context.

A disruptive advent is good for the one causing the disruption, but bad for everyone else... usually. So I think it's a good term. Just have to consider perspectives.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
i don't think Google has much to do w/ open source.
their advertisement technology certainly isn't, is it?
nor are the search crawlers technology.

IBM, open source?
i don't think you know what you are talking about.
just because they released some Linux / GNU drivers for some of their platforms doesn't make then "open source" i'm afraid.
IBM is foremost a HW compnay; HW, open source?

same goes for HP, now owner of Palm...

is your definition of open source company a company which (ab-)used open source, by any chance?
IBM is more of a "services" company now.. But that's neither here nor there..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sevla For This Useful Post:
It's all about context.

A disruptive advent is good for the one causing the disruption, but bad for everyone else... usually. So I think it's a good term. Just have to consider perspectives.
Quite like that:
- Fast English ships vs large and slow Spanish Armada.
- Gun powder & rifles vs knights.
- Alcohol, disease & rifles vs Indians.
- Nuclear weapons.
- Quantum computer against existing cryptography (still to be proven)

Usually it is applied without mercy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
It's all about context.

Ok with me. A disruptor can shake things up and possibly change things for good and, heck, if they come out ahead all the better! So, who is behind this disruption? Elop?

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by Alee View Post
who cares for apple, it sucks to the core, the most mediocre company and devices ive ever seen, yet i appreciate the standards they set but its all eye candy and being slaved, you get just superior touch and you get deprived off all other major features , imho iCrap is dumb as compared to s40 feature phones

As opposed Nokia crap that cant even figure out FONTS on its phones.......

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland