I've managed to set up a dual booting with OS2007 on the memory card, and OS2008 on the internal flash. It sort of works. As the initfs was generated on os2008, this one works ok. OS2007 works aside from wifi connectivity It still might be useful for some gaming (wesnoth at least) and some non network dependent applications which had not been ported to os2008 yet. Procedure was simple. First the OS2007 had been transferred to the memory card, then the N800 reflashed and bootmenu initfs reinstalled from the fresh os2008 install.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Yes, wi-fi and arrow keys do not work, bluetooth works
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=11703

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Fanoush,

I just asked you this on another post, but I will try again in case it doesn't come up.
I'm new to linux and I barely understand this dual boot.
I would like if possible to have my os2008 on my n800 run from my internal 16gb card. Is this possible? I don't want or need os2007. Will all my os2008 apps work, and all my n800 functions(web, d-pad, etc...)
My dream is to have my os2008 on the removeable internal card and move it at will if necessary. It would make from what I've read in other threads load faster and run smoother.
Thanks for all the great work you've done on the Nokia and maemo and this site. lol, Dan

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
If you really really want to run both you could. you could make a script using Fanoush's kernel and initfs flasher. You would then in 2008 run a script to write out 2007 kernel/initfs and shutdown. Then when booting boot to 2007OS. When you want to boot back to 2008OS, In 2007OS you could then run a script to write out 2008 kernel/initfs and shutdown. Then select the 2008OS on boot.

This is not that hard to do. (Thanks to Fanoush) I just see no real need to do it?

Yes, that's possible, something like
Code:
kernel_flasher/kernel_flash zImage
initfs_flasher/initfs_flash initfs_flasher/initfs.bootmenu.jffs2
should work. Once you do it approx. 100 000 times, your device will die :-)

BTW I tried to backport old (2007) wi-fi driver to new (2008) kernel but it didn't work. The source is too different. First it did not even compile, after some tweaking it compiled but crashed kernel on wi-fi connection so i gave up. It is better to spent time with kexec which could load the real thing (=old kernel). This currently does not work too but is promising.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by dan View Post
I would like if possible to have my os2008 on my n800 run from my internal 16gb card. Is this possible? I don't want or need os2007. Will all my os2008 apps work, and all my n800 functions(web, d-pad, etc...)
My dream is to have my os2008 on the removeable internal card and move it at will if necessary. It would make from what I've read in other threads load faster and run smoother.
Yes, this is possible. Just follow any of guides written on this subject, one example http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howt...from_mmc_card/
or see thread
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=8631

As for the speed - yes it may be faster but don't expect miracles.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-01-05 at 19:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
What about trying to upgrade the OS2007 kernel with OS2008 wifi driver instead to cope with new initfs? I'm not able to assess this myself just thinking loud over here...

Fanoush,

Many thanks bro.!
It looks daunting but I will give it a go.
Nokia should really consider putting this feature in their next upgrade of os. It would solve a lot of problems. memory being one of them. I'm reaching the limit of mine with all the programs I've installed in the past two week!!
It up the brilliant work. lol, Dan

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
If you really really want to run both you could. you could make a script using Fanoush's kernel and initfs flasher. You would then in 2008 run a script to write out 2007 kernel/initfs and shutdown. Then when booting boot to 2007OS. When you want to boot back to 2008OS, In 2007OS you could then run a script to write out 2008 kernel/initfs and shutdown. Then select the 2008OS on boot.

This is not that hard to do. (Thanks to Fanoush) I just see no real need to do it?
Well.. I want to play with 2008 now and then, but much prefer 2007. So it would work for me.

I probably won't bother right now, as the only reasons for 2008 were to try KDE (tried it, but it's not really day to day usable) and to try wired ethernet. I don't need wireless if I have wired I can put debs on via USB if I need things to help the wired project. So while I could flash and reflash (and I'll have to re-read Fanoush's stuff so I understand just what I'm scripting) I probably won't bother.

Zebee

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Yes, that's possible, something like
Code:
kernel_flasher/kernel_flash zImage
initfs_flasher/initfs_flash initfs_flasher/initfs.bootmenu.jffs2
should work. Once you do it approx. 100 000 times, your device will die :-)

If I want to dual boot, I need to have the OS I am currently running set up the box to be happy with the OS I wish to run? Similar to the idea of having to set up initrd?

I imagine I'll need to have somewhere on each OS partition the zImage and jffs2 for the other partition?

So.. where are the bits needed? Do I need to mount up the 2008 partition in 2007 and get stuff from that to flash, or do I download something from your site?

Zebee