Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
5.5 inch?
Nope

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Now, let's see if they're smart.
They themselves may be but, "liquid metal stronger than steel"? I don't think they aim at smart customers.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
5.5 inch?
Nope
Exactly. Another proof their target audience is people who go for silly fads. Not smart customers.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
liquid metal...
hm...
yeah pichlo...
come to think about it...
they are either flogging a hybrid mercury...
or it is an awful hot phone...
ach...
gotta watch people nowadays...

here in Canada...
we have a truly incredible program from our national broadcaster...
called Marketplace...
they are really the only thing left on tv that is truly impartial and investigatory...
It's very popular across Canada and the States...
it's a weekly show...
no one likes to see those boys coming...
they spend money on proper product testing ...
last week...
they brought to task a couple of jewelry chains (big ones)
ardene and another ...
for selling jewelries which were made in China...
thing is...for a few cents more..the jewelry could be made with actual metal...
for a few cents less...
it can be made with higher concentrations of very toxic materials...
like ..jewelry made with up to 99% cadmium....
they do official unbiased testing with reputable labs...
then confront the offending companies...
they even went to China to see and talk with the producing companies...

They recently proved that Starbucks, Tim Hortons and many others were not recycling recyclable products of theirs...cups and such...
and followed up afterward to see if they repented their evil ways...
they hold to task industry ...
Excellent show all around...
it's been around as a tv show for about 40 yrs now on the cbc....
Should ask them to check out half the devices peeps are interested in...
they'll peer through the murky soup of double-speak and flim-flammery...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Liquid metal. Think terminator ll.

Can only be destroyed in the fires of mount doom.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
sweet sweet android fanboy tears!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Exactly. Another proof their target audience is people who go for silly fads. Not smart customers.
How exactly is size of the screen related to how "smart" is the phone? Or the customer?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
liquid metal
That term has been around since 2010. Here's a link about Apple renewing their usage of the alloy and term.

And screen size, only this forum and a few other small pockets of users still covet the smaller sizes whereas the majority has moved elsewhere and bigger.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
And screen size, only this forum and a few other small pockets of users still covet the smaller sizes whereas the majority has moved elsewhere and bigger.
Bizarrely I did found a lot "small pockets" around me, quite a notable proportion, prefer a smaller phone.

Phones as big as 5.5 inch feels quite uncomfortable in "normal pocket" and not so great with one hand to use or even holding for calls. Lots non-geeks prefer smaller iPhone (5S) than 6, business man prefer Q10 rather than Passport, it's definitely more than "a few".

I used to think N810 has a really large screen, that's still applicable for now.

In contrast ladies love larger screen as they put phones in handbags.

BTW I really appreciate Sony still releasing the compact series that can be used by normal pockets, without compromising too much on HW. That is the perfect size for a lot.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2016-02-02 at 23:38.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
That term has been around since 2010. Here's a link about Apple renewing their usage of the alloy and term.
So from your link, it looks like Liquidmetal with a capital "L" and no space is a trademark for some alloys with interesting properties that Apple has bought exclusive rights to use in phones. It's the "journalists" that are translating Turing Robotics' similar sounding trademark Liquidmorphium into "liquid metal".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Bizarrely I did found a lot "small pockets" around me, quite a notable proportion, prefer a smaller phone.
Kudos for you. I am not part of that trend and glad to have bigger screens so I can actually see stuff and have hands big enough to hold that screen.

But that's all personal preference. If this is successful enough, perhaps they'll make a small hands/good eyes variant that will satisfy folks that you've surrounded yourself with...

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
So from your link, it looks like Liquidmetal with a capital "L" and no space is a trademark for some alloys with interesting properties that Apple has bought exclusive rights to use in phones. It's the "journalists" that are translating Turing Robotics' similar sounding trademark Liquidmorphium into "liquid metal".
It's a marketing term for semi-solid alloys that are malleable within certain limitations and become rigid with either shock or force. How it's marketed is one thing; what it happens to be is the same thing. Most have scratch-resistant finishes - some even "heal" (I know you've heard that term used too)...

Both have been utilized in consumer electronics as far as I knew since 2010, perhaps earlier. It's a semi-nonsensical term with some solid technology behind it.

Last edited by gerbick; 2016-02-02 at 23:47.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone