Active Topics

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
I would like to nominate MohammadAG, Jaffa, Timsamoff, Nicolai and D-livil.

As those have stood out and have shown the community they are valuable and competent. The ability to be active and have good understanding of maemo.orgs inner working will be extra important during the next term.

I would also like the Council to be extended to 8-9 people instead of the 5 as it is now.

I know i am forgetting someone...
Nominations need to be made to the mailing list. If you aren't already a member of the list and for whatever reason don't want to be, perhaps a list member could make those nominations for your formally? Or better still, join the maemo-community@maemo.org mailing list yourself.

We are currently distinctly lacking in nominations. There are some excellent people who'd made valuable council members. Nominate yourself. Or I shall nominate you!

Edit: mods, please could this be pinned?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I submitted myself at the urging of others, but with a caveat: my nomination only holds if there are just 4 (other) confirmed candidates at the deadline.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Great to see that Attila Csipa accepted his nomination!

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I submitted myself at the urging of others, but with a caveat: my nomination only holds if there are just 4 (other) confirmed candidates at the deadline.
Thanks for doing this. It would not be good in these difficult times to have less than a full 5 member council.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Could someone assist with updating http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...ection_Q1_2011 ? By my reckoning, we have 5 candidates:

If I've not missed anyone, we can either proceed with an election (in which everyone is elected, but some mandate is given); or they are given the position straight off.

Last edited by timsamoff; 2011-03-16 at 03:25.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I know that it is hard work to organize an election, but I would prefer that an election still takes place, even if all of the candidates will end up getting elected. I think it shows the community that there is a commitment to stick to previously agreed-upon mechanisms, even at a time when the community is perceived to be in flux.

This is not to say that the "rules" can't be changed, but it is better to discuss those after the fact, rather than in the midst of the process.

Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
I think it shows the community that there is a commitment to stick to previously agreed-upon mechanisms, even at a time when the community is perceived to be in flux.

This is not to say that the "rules" can't be changed, but it is better to discuss those after the fact, rather than in the midst of the process.
The rules are absolutely clear on the fact: there is no need for an election if there are five candidates. There is no diversion from the "previous agreed-upon mechanisms".

Having an election with low turnout could be more harmful.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
[*]Attila Csipa (achipa)
his nick here is attila77 if i'm not mistaken. or does "achipa" refer to his nickname elsewhere? sorry if that's the case

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
his nick here is attila77 if i'm not mistaken. or does "achipa" refer to his nickname elsewhere?
achipa is his IRC nick & maemo.org username. I should've listed both, sorry.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The rules are absolutely clear on the fact: there is no need for an election if there are five candidates. There is no diversion from the "previous agreed-upon mechanisms".

Having an election with low turnout could be more harmful.
Okay, fair enough. I was not aware of the rule. Since that is the case, then there should be no election but make sure the "why" is communicated clearly so debate is not prolonged unnecessarily.

Last edited by klinglerware; 2011-03-15 at 15:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post: