Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm newly encouraged by these developments. I'm confident that ultimately everyone with a problem will be taken care of... if slower than they would like.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by flydeep View Post
Unless the production line changes to fix this design flaw, even a new one is likely to fail soon. I hope everyone understands that even exchanging with a new unit is only a temporary solution and your heart will skip a beat even with the new unit.
Hopefully at some point they will change the design, although someone would probably have to open up their N900 to discover this for sure.

Last edited by pelago; 2010-02-17 at 15:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
You have to update your signature 'Haus3r'

Originally Posted by Haus3r View Post
I do

I am not saying that you should trust them. I am asking you to be a bit more patient, and not start blaming them for things they have not done yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to flydeep For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
HumanPenguin - I understand why you are pessimistic about this due to your previous experiences, but the post on the http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ighlight/false thread actually says "a detached N900 usb connector" is covered. I would be very surprised if a Nokia CARE centre was able to say that what you were showing to them wasn't covered by that statement, pads or no pads.
Texrats original post and the Engadget repost of it included ports comming off altogether.

The picture on the en-gadget article that Mark S responded to was with the MicroUSB port completely removed.

The issue was over if the user had put the phone through physical abuse. The only evidence Nokia has accepted up to now that this is a fault and not an abusive user has been that the pads where not removed from the board.

So far I have seen nothing from Nokia indicvating they have changed their view on that. I trully hope that is what this post indicates. But with out a direct claim.

I am as I said unwilling to sing Nokias praises.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by HumanPenguin View Post
So far I have seen nothing from Nokia indicvating they have changed their view on that. I trully hope that is what this post indicates. But with out a direct claim..
Companies tend to be overly cautious when wording releases like this.

But please have confidence. I went to great lengths, and was very precise and strong in how I described this to Nokia management. Taking a fact-based approach usually succeeds eventually. So far they have moved off of the original "user abuse" disclaimer and that alone is significant progress.

And if it swings back the other way, then as I said an expert in the field has expressed willingness to offer an assessment. I will be talking further with him soon.

Patience.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Maybe Nokia can change the rule for the usb port issue to 3 year just like xbox rrod issue. Also the fact usa only get 1 year instead of 2 in EU got me worry.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Companies tend to be overly cautious when wording releases like this.

But please have confidence. I went to great lengths, and was very precise and strong in how I described this to Nokia management. Taking a fact-based approach usually succeeds eventually. So far they have moved off of the original "user abuse" disclaimer and that alone is significant progress.

And if it swings back the other way, then as I said an expert in the field has expressed willingness to offer an assessment. I will be talking further with him soon.

Patience.
I cannot enphisis enougth how impressed and greatful I have been for the actions you have demonstraited during this issue.

You are an asset and a shinning example both to this community and to Nokia themselves.

I am not suggesting that Nokia "IS" pulling a fast one.

I was just replying to the Praise Nokia and Rejoice comments indicating that the announcement really is not specific about the issue.

All I am saying is I want to see evidence before I let Nokia off the hook.

To be honest just the statement from you that you have been talking to the higher brass in Nokia makes me feel a lot better then before.

Also the fact taht you still have an in with them indicates that you may not have burnt as many bridges as indicated by previous posts. I truly hope that your support for us has not harmed your potential future with Nokia.

That said I cannot deny that my feelings for Nokia have changed due to there response to this issue.

I was as close to a nokia fanboy as Nokia ever gets. Even when I went to the flagship store to get my N900 charging problem looked at I was upselling Nokia to another customer while I waited. Every step from then on made me feel more abused and unlistened to.

It has been 6 years since I have had any phone but a nokia having purchased new highend N Series phones each year.

And 2+ weeks ago Nokia was the only option I considered acceptable. I now find myself needing Nokia to prove that their quality control and customer care response matches my expectation.

Nokia has moved from the trusted provider to Just another phone company. Not due to the fault but due to the answer to it. To tell any customer that has a phone for 6 days with no obvious external damage that he must have broken it through carelessness is not acceptable. Prove you are not at fault before accusing your highest revenue customers of being to rough.

Last edited by HumanPenguin; 2010-02-17 at 17:39.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HumanPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdom
I agree - companies nowadays don't seem to realise how the internet means that short termist decisions (such as trying to brush a design problem under the carpet) can result in a massive collapse in confidence when people see others being treated badly.

If this is really a change in policy from Nokia then I for one will be greatly reassured, as 6 days to turn around a decision in a corporation as big as Nokia is actually pretty good going.

Just imagine all the lawyers, commercial types and accountants who would have been pitching in on the impact on the P+L account in most corporations of that size before a decision could be made......

The Following User Says Thank You to Ceejay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
so for all the n900 owners who had their micro usb screw up, HURRAY!!!

for those who have not yet (i pray will NOT) encounter this issue, Stick to the THUMB COMPRESSION or the GRINDing trick

or buy another charger right? cz grinding is hard formthose who dont know how like me or is it easy im so confused

The Following User Says Thank You to DaKing For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty