Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posted about this on my website. I encourage others to do so. Currently I suspect that Nokia considers it less expensive to do nothing than to fix or recall. Sales and reputation have to be threatened enough that it will be cheaper to fix or recall than to ignore. Get the word out.
http//watson-wilson.ca/news/n900.html

The Following User Says Thank You to neilhwatson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by flydeep View Post
Just requested a post on this at Slashdot.org

linky: http://slashdot.org/submission/11803...-off?art_pos=1
Thanks for making sure my article was linked!

As to neilhwatson: is there anything more, specifically, you would have me do? I thought I'd covered your suggestions...

In general: avoid advocating anything illegal or unethical in this forum, and let's stop bickering and focus.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-02-25 at 14:32.

I think the key now is to get the word out so that marketing and sales folks at Nokia see the issue and the potential cost. Post about this as much as we can and link back to each other. The more links follow back and forth the more likely this issue will rank high on Google. It might even be useful to consider a web ring of some sort.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
One thing to note: I have been an advocate of this community and will continue to do so, rigorously. That said, I prefer to take an unemotional approach as much as possible when escalating issues. If I become too antagonistic, I risk losing credibility with Nokia and therefore becoming ineffective. I want to keep helping you all as I have... especially if that means getting back inside Nokia where I can do even more.

However, others are more than welcome to take my analyses and render them into torches and pitchforks. We all have different roles to play.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Texrat, I agree with you. If we are rabid and foaming we will likely be marginalized. Be dispassionate. You can't argue with someone who, never raising their voice, cites undisputed facts.

The Following User Says Thank You to neilhwatson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
The funny thing is not only has Maemo transformed into MeeGo and everyone can contribute but it also means the same for the hardware too.

When other manufacturers start making MeeGo devices it raises the question of "Why should I buy from Nokia?"

Especially with a problem like this.

From what I have read from this thread I am utterly paranoid about my USB connection and dismayed in the way the community are being treated.

At some point new devices will be launched by Nokia and other manufacturers, at some point the specs will be similar.

The question you will ask yourself "Which manufacturer will I choose?"

The answer now will be "Anyone but Nokia!" judging by thier current behaviour.

After all this time Nokia still don't get it. This isn't about some bog-standard mobile phone - it's a device competing directly with iPhone, android and Windows based devices.

Nokia do understand churning out many "affordable" & different mobile phones and flooding the market. It's why they still have a significant market share.

Things are now changing and Nokia seem to be stuck with an ever-increasing dated behavour.

Nokia just do not understand the market for premium devices.

If Nokia had an ounce of intelligence they would realise they are alienating thier customers and should be solving this problem rather than avoiding it.

Even with users whose usb connector seems to be fine won't trust Nokia.

I certainly don't.

As a consumer I will have many choices when I am ready to upgrade to a new device. What Nokia needs to understand is they must be a factor in this decision.

I imagine many people in this thread will eliminate Nokia from their buying decision.

RIP Nokia - you were the only european manufacturer that had the potential to compete with Apple, Android, google & Microsoft.

This is turning into a spectacular fail.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
I whole heartedly agree with your observations. I am in a similar boat as you are, a new N900 about a month old. No problems yet and am loving my device but I am voicing my concern on behalf of the community users. It wouldn't take too long for me to be stranded similar to other folks here.

Since I have already invested in this N900, I will see how this plays out. This issue will be the decision driver what my other devices will be. I play a big factor among my friends and relatives on their electronic purchases, so my experiences here go a long way beyond my needs.

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
The funny thing is not only has Maemo transformed into MeeGo and everyone can contribute but it also means the same for the hardware too.

From what I have read from this thread I am utterly paranoid about my USB connection and dismayed in the way the community are being treated.

At some point new devices will be launched by Nokia and other manufacturers, at some point the specs will be similar.

The question you will ask yourself "Which manufacturer will I choose?"

The answer now will be "Anyone but Nokia!" judging by thier current behaviour.

I imagine many people in this thread will eliminate Nokia from their buying decision.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flydeep For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
i will totally understand if Nokia will take a lot more time for each new phones to show up, but what they are doing, making new phone before the other one is completed, makes me think that they are all in the rush.

i believe they need to take it slowly but surely.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Yes. This is exactly what I meant before when I wrote about losing money by losing your credibility and image. People who are in frontline will surely make much wider impact on friends around them than average joes. These are the people who are asked advice when some device starts to be mainstream so Nokia handle with care and love (right now you are doing lousy job)!

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Yes. This is exactly what I meant before when I wrote about losing money by losing your credibility and image. People who are in frontline will surely make much wider impact on friends around them than average joes. These are the people who are asked advice when some device starts to be mainstream so Nokia handle with care and love (right now you are doing lousy job)!
lets just hope that nokia will not come up with this again, or if they would, hopefully they wont give customers a hard time on Warranty, and men...! they're making 2 new phones so far!!

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty