Notices

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by TheJason View Post
Can you make GeePS show places as you zoom in?

I noticed last week a feature that I'd become accustomed to in regular pc/windows google maps wasn't available in GeePS. On my laptop, as you zoom in to a location on the map, you see business locations and property/lot boundaries. This could be very useful in a situation where you're in an unfamiliar location and you just want to see what's around you without having to randomly drive around looking as opposed to paying attention to the road and other drivers.
This is not a feature available on the current Google API as far as I can tell.

I read that you plan to "add window with "business information" (address, phone, web site)"

I have used the search function and it is helpful.
But it would be very convenient to also just be able to zoom in and see what's close. This is something easy to do single-handed at a stoplight for instance when driving.
I don't disagree. It is just that I "have" already the business contact information I just need to create the interface to display it.

In a more recent post you mentioned that you were still hopeful that google will "open" the "places api" so you can show even more information.
I just wanted to aknowledge that I saw this. I don't exactly know what it means. It sounds like the very thing you need to access to make this happen?
The google local search has been deprecated and the google places api replaces it.

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
I am afraid it is a google maps limitation. To make sure just try to visit http://www.google.com/maps
Just to comfirm GoogleMaps web works on the N900 in China.
Google Maps (Java app) on Symbian handset also work fine.
I wonder why GeePS display only blank screen....

Originally Posted by taike_hk View Post
Just to comfirm GoogleMaps web works on the N900 in China.
Google Maps (Java app) on Symbian handset also work fine.
I wonder why GeePS display only blank screen....
Maybe google.com/maps works but not the google maps api (that geeps uses).

At least this is what I understood from previous posts on this thread:
[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=90
[2] http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=98

You can also try on default web browser: http://www.crochik.com/gps.html for some more clues.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network

The Following User Says Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Maybe google.com/maps works but not the google maps api (that geeps uses).

At least this is what I understood from previous posts on this thread:
[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=90
[2] http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=98

You can also try on default web browser: http://www.crochik.com/gps.html for some more clues.
Thanks for all your pointers. I'm learning

Default web browser (http://www.crochik.com/gps.html) displays unfamiliar map - somewhere around Av. Nove de Juiho...

Originally Posted by taike_hk View Post
Thanks for all your pointers. I'm learning

Default web browser (http://www.crochik.com/gps.html) displays unfamiliar map - somewhere around Av. Nove de Juiho...
Now this is getting odd... the page that just worked on your browser is pretty much the same code that the geeps uses.

Did you get any error messages on geeps or anything that I can work with? On the next release I will add a logger to make debuging easier

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

I wanted to post a quick response before I forget.

GasBuddy

My friend somehow has GasBuddy integrated with his iPhone. He used his iPhone map to find the lowest diesel fuel around us. I know that google is the default map on his phone, I wonder if maybe there's a way to tie GasBuddy maps in with this frontend application you've made.

This is a very cool app you've setup, so I hope these suggestions don't seem like a lack of appreciation. I'm just throwing out ideas that might make it more cool.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheJason For This Useful Post:
I wanted to post a quick response before I forget.

GasBuddy

My friend somehow has GasBuddy integrated with his iPhone. He used his iPhone map to find the lowest diesel fuel around us. I know that google is the default map on his phone, I wonder if maybe there's a way to tie GasBuddy maps in with this frontend application you've made.

This is a very cool app you've setup, so I hope these suggestions don't seem like a lack of appreciation. I'm just throwing out ideas that might make it more cool.
I don't mind suggestion and ideas at all. Please keep them coming.

On the GasBuddy: I went to their web site and couldn't find any "public api". It would be possible to scrape the data from their mobile version but it is not how I like to implement things.

I would depend on them providing me with a "data feed" and authorization to use the data.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

I don't mind suggestion and ideas at all. Please keep them coming.

On the GasBuddy: I went to their web site and couldn't find any "public api". It would be possible to scrape the data from their mobile version but it is not how I like to implement things.

I would depend on them providing me with a "data feed" and authorization to use the data.
I'll confirm with my friend how he accessed the GasBuddy map. I just assumed that it was some "app" that integrated with google maps, because he doesn't do anything that isn't easy.

So I understand that this app you've developed is essentially an orchestrator of google maps data and you can sometimes integrate other web-based data. Is that correct?
I googled "api" and I see that it's a application programming interface. api seems like a general term, do you need to have access to a specifically defined api, like "google maps api"?

I'd be willing to email GasBuddy and request access. I just don't know what I'd be requesting, exactly.
Seems like GasBuddy would want more people using thier site. They depend on user feedback for an updated database of fuel prices.

Being able to see diesel prices in my proximity would be very useful to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheJason For This Useful Post:
I'll confirm with my friend how he accessed the GasBuddy map. I just assumed that it was some "app" that integrated with google maps, because he doesn't do anything that isn't easy.

So I understand that this app you've developed is essentially an orchestrator of google maps data and you can sometimes integrate other web-based data. Is that correct?
I googled "api" and I see that it's a application programming interface. api seems like a general term, do you need to have access to a specifically defined api, like "google maps api"?

I'd be willing to email GasBuddy and request access. I just don't know what I'd be requesting, exactly.
Seems like GasBuddy would want more people using thier site. They depend on user feedback for an updated database of fuel prices.

Being able to see diesel prices in my proximity would be very useful to me.
GeePS is a "wrapper" around a web browser that displays a map using the "Google Maps Javascript API". I have implemented other functions like the "local search" that uses a different API to get the data and then add the information to the map.

All that I would need is a "URL" and a list of parameters that I have to pass to it (e.g. zip code or lat/long coordinates, gas type, ...) and they will "return" a "text file" that follows of the many standards (xml, json, ...) with the gas station addresses, prices and last update timestamp. Of course it could be much more than that and I could also implement an interface so people can also enter the price... I would assume they would also expect some kind of advertisement for them on the application.

I have sent them an email already but haven't received any reply.

Please feel free to send another one....

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

Now this is getting odd... the page that just worked on your browser is pretty much the same code that the geeps uses.

Did you get any error messages on geeps or anything that I can work with? On the next release I will add a logger to make debuging easier
Yes, it's strange. I wonder there is no one using GeePS in China.
Let me ask a buddy in Beijin who has N900 to try.

No error message at all on GeePS. GeePS shows white blank in the windows and gets stuck.

Is there anything I can do in debug mode?