Poll: Can N900 supports bluetooth 3.0?
Poll Options
Can N900 supports bluetooth 3.0?

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Tricase, Lecce (ITA)
Can N900 supports Bluetooth 3.0?

AFAIK could an update suffice

why is this a poll?? you should ask nokia developers not users....

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
No it can't.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Who actually voted for "yes" in this poll?

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
I voted yes , well I don't know so much of bluetooth 3.0, but I think that THEORICALY you can upgrade a device with bluetooth 2 and WIFI to bluetooth 3.

I will be wrong...

Last edited by Pretoriano; 2010-04-22 at 12:47.

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ St.Petersburg, Russia
N900 can't support 2.0 Bluetooth yet
Bad sound hands free.
Bad support car kit's.
Not time to ask about 3.0.....

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
The N900 supports Bluetooth 2.1, which includes things like Secure Simple Pairing, which actually works well. Not sure about EIR support in software.

The official Linux Bluetooth stack used in the N900, which is called bluez, doesn't support things like PBAP yet, which is needed for car kit functionality.

You would have to have a new radio to support the newer protocol, so no, you can't have Bluetooth 3.0 with a Bluetooth 2.1 EDR radio.

Last edited by Tomaszd; 2010-04-22 at 12:22.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tomaszd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
The N900 supports Bluetooth 2.1, which includes things like Secure Simple Pairing, which actually works well. Not sure about EIR support in software.

You would have to have a new radio to support the newer protocol, so no, you can't have Bluetooth 3.0 with a Bluetooth 2.1 EDR radio.
Indeed it's not possible and even it if was.. its not going to happen

Originally Posted by Pretoriano View Post
I voted yes , well I don't know so much of bluetooth 3.0, but I think that THEORICALY you can upgrade a device witch bluetooth 2 and WIFI to bluetooth 3.

I will be wrong...
You are correct.

Bluetooth 3.0 gets its speed from the 802.11 radio protocol. The inclusion of the 802.11 Protocol Adaptation Layer (PAL) provides increased throughput of data transfers at the approximate rate of 24 Mbps. In addition, mobile devices including Bluetooth 3.0 will realize increased power savings due to enhanced power control built in.
Bluetooth 3.0 will be backwards-compatible, so you'll be able to use new devices with your existing Bluetooth 2.1-toting gear. Chip makers Atheros and Broadcom are already working on 3.0 hardware, and many existing devices with 802.11 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 can be upgraded via a firmware update.

Also worth noting is BlueZ, its the Bluetooth stack for Linux. Its goal is to make an implementation of the Bluetooth wireless standards specifications for Linux. As of 2006, the BlueZ stack supports all core Bluetooth protocols and layers, and in addition to the basic stack, the bluez-utils and bluez-firmware packages contain low level utilities such as dfutool which can interrogate the Bluetooth adapter chipset to determine whether its firmware can be upgraded.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Tricase, Lecce (ITA)
i remember that iPod Touch could supports bluetooth 3.0 and so i wonder if the n900 is too.

moreover, i remember that Eldar Murtzain of Mobile review said that there are some surprise under the N900 screen. Maybe one of this is overclock. The second could be the bt upgrade. The next could be the haptics techonology.

If you go to N900 site you could view that in the widget media player the song play:
http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/360/

Artist: The Haptics
Song: Touch and Go