Active Topics

Has anyone noticed the screen's brightness adjust to the ambiant light?
Seems to get brighter in brighter areas. Is this normal? The readability of the screen is very good btw.

The Following User Says Thank You to Devil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
Has anyone noticed the screen's brightness adjust to the ambiant light?
Seems to get brighter in brighter areas. Is this normal? The readability of the screen is very good btw.
yeah it can be very good - bugs me every so often - but 95% of the time it gets it right for me

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
yeah it can be very good - bugs me every so often - but 95% of the time it gets it right for me
Same here, it helps me a lot when I am outdoors wading in between direct sunlight/indirect light, however when I am indoors I find that it will also adjust the brightness every so often even though the surrounding lighting conditions have not changed.

Does anyone know if there is a way how to temporarily disable it, or to toglle it on/off?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iKneaDough For This Useful Post:
It's been perfectly normal for some years now. My 3 year-old dumb SE does it too
It uses a light sensor on the face of the device, close to the front camera (check the manual for the exact location). Covering it (with your finger or something) will keep the screen at it's dimmest.
I have a feeling it's strictly hardware, so there is no way to change the way it works. Could be different on the n900 though

Is your brightness level set to "5/max"? I've noticed I only get the auto-dimming if I have it set to anything less than max. This was also the same on my N97.