Active Topics

As the Windows Phone Developer Summit approaches really soon, we have a Windows Phone 8 rumor that reveals just one of the great features that may be coming to the platform. According to the folks at Insideris, who have obtained reliable leaks in the past, Windows Phone 8 will feature a global search option that can be activated right from the start screen.

According to them, underneath the arrow that shows all your apps there will be a search icon that brings up the global search feature. When you type in this screen, Windows Phone 8 will apparently search your entire phone for relevant results, including "contacts, apps, games and more", meaning that it will become much easier to perform simple tasks such as looking up a contact or finding a specific application.

Wooo.....I'm impressed! NOT!

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
As the Windows Phone Developer Summit approaches really soon, we have a Windows Phone 8 rumor that reveals just one of the great features that may be coming to the platform. According to the folks at Insideris, who have obtained reliable leaks in the past, Windows Phone 8 will feature a global search option that can be activated right from the start screen.

According to them, underneath the arrow that shows all your apps there will be a search icon that brings up the global search feature. When you type in this screen, Windows Phone 8 will apparently search your entire phone for relevant results, including "contacts, apps, games and more", meaning that it will become much easier to perform simple tasks such as looking up a contact or finding a specific application

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So... global search is in WP8.

Great. Welcome to 2005. Or 2007. Or... some other year that's not 2012.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

+1

10 chars

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
OH WOW. Just like the (for me at least) useless "Just type...." feature in webOS.
Now give me a file manager like Directory Opus (or Krusader) and its search feature, and we'll be in talks.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Pressed the search icon on my Gingerbread Android device, started typing, it does this exact thing.

Wow, what an innovation!

Edit: doesn't even the N9 do this?

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Munich or Luxembourg
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Pressed the search icon on my Gingerbread Android device, started typing, it does this exact thing.

Wow, what an innovation!

Edit: doesn't even the N9 do this?
yes, N9 search is global too, it searches contacts, apps, files, conversations, notes, ...

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
S60 had/has that as well.. (at least my E70 and E75 have it).

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

2005?

Palm Pilot III had global search as did the Treo 600/650.
MS is really impressing me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mize For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Code:
find / -name $whogivesashit

Tags
epic fail, non-innovating, unneeded