Active Topics

Hello all. This is probably my first post. I've had my N800 for a while now and simply love it. Canola is my best friend.

I like podcasts, and I like books, so it follows that I love audiobooks. I've had a subscription to Audible.com for a time now, but it appears to be mostly wasted. They use a proprietary .aa format and require installation of a buggy management program to download a book and update your portable listening device.

I have successfully listened to a couple books (that I paid for) in mp3 format, but it took effort to convert them that I don't care for going through the hassle. So I asked Audible support why I can't listen to one on my N800 in the native .aa format. Their response:

"The Nokia N800 runs an Operating System Internet Tablet OS 2007 edition in which is not compatible with our service. In order to use your Nokia N800, this device will need to be compatible with Java. After researching, this device doesn't boast full Java support. This means I cannot use Java-based applications such as ours."

Despite the fact that I've upgraded to OS 2008, I don't think they want to help much. It appears they have a Java player Audible AIR that will run on many newer web-enabled phones. Does OS 2008 support Java? Are there any plans to? I don't know if this program requires real-time listening or if you can DL for offline listening. I want the latter.

Anybody else?

Tim

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I was a paying member of Audible for about six years. Audible is not very interested in changing in any directions suggested by customers, in my experience. Sometimes the company will tell you they are listening, but it becomes obvious that isn't true.

Orb does work with Audible and so you can stream content from your Windows computer to your tablet.

Since the tablet is compatible with Palm software, it is possible that you could run Palm software and use it with Audible content. However, no one has reported success with that approach.

I solved my problem by getting a Centro, which allows me to listen to the hundreds of Audible books I purchased.

Some kind of tricked-up java compatibility is claimed for the tablets, but I have never tried it.

I love using Audible because it has a good website with a large catalog. You can use listen to the files after converting them by:

Best Option
Install GoldWave

Next Best Option
Install River Past Audio Converter 5.0.0 and works; 5.0.3 will also prob work

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The last I heard, you had to use an old version of GoldWave to get this to work. I don't know where to get that old version, either. I hadn't heard about River Past.

Tags
audible, audiobook, java, n800