Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I've read and understand the FHS as well Bratag. I built my own linux off of it using that and the LFS documents.

However, almost no mainstream distribution actually follows the guide 100%.

Solaris and FreeBSD have different filesystem structures, Solaris using things /export, which is mostly non-existent in any other Unix-related operating system. It also isn't even in the "almighty" FHS.

TLDP also has a "standard": http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_03_01.html.. which is similar - but not identical to the FHS.

I think debian sums it up best:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html

In short - with pretty much all linux:
We follow this Standard..... except when we don't.
Well this I can agree with. The damn AIX admins at my work place persist in making the goddamn home directory 50MB because thats the base amount IBM give it in the install. Spend half my life trying to get more room allocated. - Thank God for smart filesystems. As for Solaris - dont get me started . I guess you are right and it does come down to the individual admin. In the case of the N900 however Nokia have obviously tried to follow the FHS to a greater extent. More than anything I was trying to point out that the issue here is not Nokia "being stupid" but rather the end user not taking responsibility for installing software out of testing/devel.
Remember - just when you think you have made something idiot proof - they go and build a better idiot.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
That is absolutely correct Bratag... I certainly didn't mean to sound like I was calling Nokia stupid in any sense. On the contrary.. I said things like /opt are mostly used for more mobile or space-constrained systems.

I also said it was a great idea.. that if adhered to 100% would definitely be beneficial. But in this case, I think they have cause a few more *immediate* problems than if they had left the full 32GB on root (/)... but on the flip side... doing the latter would have likely caused more *long-term* problems.. once a user has found a way to fill up 32GB of space in software and/or movies on their root drive.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Oh, and just to prove that I'm not a complete idiot... Ubuntu, one of the most common Desktop Linux's now:

https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/install...86/apcs03.html
For new users, personal Ubuntu boxes, home systems, and other single-user setups, a single / partition (plus swap) is probably the easiest, simplest way to go. However, if your partition is larger than around 6GB, choose ext3 as your partition type. Ext2 partitions need periodic file system integrity checking, and this can cause delays during booting when the partition is large.
If you allow Ubuntu to partition your drive for you (the "easy" way).. it will create a single / partition.

Not saying it's right or wrong.. just saying it's common. And it's one I personally employ, but just because I understand the risks and keep a watch on my HDD space with several different tools.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
putting stuff on the root-partition (or system partition when talking windows) isnt something i would feel comfortable doing.
i mean, even in windows i strictly keep my windows-partition free of anything not windows-related, although its not necessarely needed in windows.

thats why i asked if you can tell beforehand where a program is going to install itself. or consequently, if its possible to clean the system-partition from non-system programs if they installed themself to that location (will a simple uninstall of a program delete everything?).
or if you can customize the install-location, even though it seems that in linux these locations are pre-determined.

MSA

Refer to the very last line of post #16 on the last page.

The only way to tell where a program WILL go is to extract it yourself.. but those two links explain the other half of your question.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
MSA

Refer to the very last line of post #16 on the last page.

The only way to tell where a program WILL go is to extract it yourself.. but those two links explain the other half of your question.
If you have the .deb file you can do dpkg --contents <pkg> and that will give you a listing.

Once installed you can do dpkg -L <pkg> to get a listing of the files and where they went.

Found that handy a couple of times
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Try this before reflashing! It may fix your device without needing to blow everything out:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37420

thanks guys for all your support.
i finally did it and fixed it.
but how can i avoid that happening again.
how to stop the reboot thing, that freezes the mobile

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Well this I can agree with. The damn AIX admins at my work place persist in making the goddamn home directory 50MB because thats the base amount IBM give it in the install. Spend half my life trying to get more room allocated. - Thank God for smart filesystems. As for Solaris - dont get me started . I guess you are right and it does come down to the individual admin. In the case of the N900 however Nokia have obviously tried to follow the FHS to a greater extent. More than anything I was trying to point out that the issue here is not Nokia "being stupid" but rather the end user not taking responsibility for installing software out of testing/devel.
Remember - just when you think you have made something idiot proof - they go and build a better idiot.
As I understand it the /opt partition was a very last-minute decision which is why I called Nokia stupid. When you only have a 256MB root its rather obvious from the start you are going to need to decide where to install applications, as it sure as hell wont be on root.

Also the way the N900 uses root seems odd. Earlier I got the out of memory message for the first time, because UNINSTALLING software had filled up my root. I mean WTF?

Knowing this is a big issue, why didn't Nokia make it easier to find out what is taking up space on root? Its all bad worse of course by the "not releasing free space" bug which is supposed to be fixed when the holy firmware update finally comes out.

I love my N900, but to say Nokia didn't make some pretty silly mistakes would be an understatement. I mean stripping the NAT related modules out of the kernel for a start when every other mobile device around these days can run as a MiFi with a simple application install. The fact my friend with a 5800XM can do things my N900 cannot is plain crazy. And no I do not mean phone features, Nokia supposedly sacrificed phone functionality for a full Linux NIT, but its missing core components of Linux for it to deliver as promised.

It should have been EASIER on Linux, not require hacking around compiling new kernels. Its unacceptable that a Linux based device requires hacking to get things working that Linux has been able to do out of the box for years. Its near impossible to find a router that ISN'T running on Linux, yet here we are with the most important features missing on the N900.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Tags
lack of quality control