Active Topics

I have a malfunction with my power button. The quick press doesn't bring up the device mode menu, and the long press doesn't turn the n800 off. Pressing the power button does create a 'click' sound effect, as all the other buttons do, so it might not be the hardware.

I would normally take out the battery and hope a reboot would fix it, but I'm on vacation, and if I can't power it back on, I'm losing an invaluable link to my maps, internet resources, and email. I'm sure I can flash it when I get home.

On other thing that has malfuntioned within the same day is the display does not dim or switch off after a minute even though the control panel setting should control the display.

Any suggestions? To reboot or not reboot? Not having the screen lock is a pain for travel and it will drain faster now.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
... How are you planning to turn it back on if the power button is broken?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Exactly. It might turn on, or it might not.

I can certainly flash the os when I get home if it is entirely software related.

Definitely have to shut down on the plane...

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by heyslivers View Post
I have a malfunction with my power button. The quick press doesn't bring up the device mode menu, and the long press doesn't turn the n800 off. Pressing the power button does create a 'click' sound effect, as all the other buttons do, so it might not be the hardware.

I would normally take out the battery and hope a reboot would fix it, but I'm on vacation, and if I can't power it back on, I'm losing an invaluable link to my maps, internet resources, and email. I'm sure I can flash it when I get home.

On other thing that has malfuntioned within the same day is the display does not dim or switch off after a minute even though the control panel setting should control the display.

Any suggestions? To reboot or not reboot? Not having the screen lock is a pain for travel and it will drain faster now.
Sounds like something has really gone a-miss. If the clicking is still there then it looks like the mechanism is still working.

My first port of call would be to back everything up to an SD card and reflash the device. Failing that get on to Nokia after sales support.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
All it really sounds like is that the mce and systemui services are not running.

/etc/init.d/mce restart
/etc/init.d/osso-systemui restart

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
All it really sounds like is that the mce and systemui services are not running.

/etc/init.d/mce restart
Good call, could be that. But why would they stop all of a sudden?

The Following User Says Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post

/etc/init.d/mce restart
Display turns off now,but Power still no good. Thanks.
Code:
~ $ /etc/init.d/mce restart
Restarting Mode Controller Entity: mce.
~ $ /etc/init.d/osso-systemui restart
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/.icons': Operation not permitted
ln: /tmp/.icons/.icons: Permission denied

You could just get the device to reboot from the xterm.
It would turn itself back on, you won't need to press the power button, but then when it's rebooted you can try the power button again.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
I'm not saying to do this, but
Code:
shutdown -r now
does successfully reboot my N800. At least it's something for when you have the option to try it.

Joe.

Edit: as root, of course.

Last edited by Justjoe; 2009-06-12 at 19:30.

Originally Posted by heyslivers View Post
Display turns off now,but Power still no good. Thanks.
Code:
~ $ /etc/init.d/mce restart
Restarting Mode Controller Entity: mce.
~ $ /etc/init.d/osso-systemui restart
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/.icons': Operation not permitted
ln: /tmp/.icons/.icons: Permission denied
You'll need to run these as root.

Tags
botton, bug, display, lock, power