Notices

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Take it easy... Give me some time.

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Take it easy... Give me some time.
ok.. would love to play around with it in the weekend

Ok. I did some work on this.
http://github.com/smokku/drnokcps2 if anyone is interested.

But I'm starting to wonder whether it is a justified work.
We already have SDLMAME port for N900 in extras-devel which as I understand has a working UI.

AFAIK SDLMAME supports more arcade machines than CPS2.

So, what exactly are the advantages of CPS2EMU over MAME?

Hey Smoku

I am a well respected member of the Street Fighter community and also was very involved in PSP emulation so maybe I can shed some light on this issue.

I registered here today just to explain why the CPS-2 Emulator is a good idea as a standalone program. From what I can tell from this thread it is based off the emu that the GP2X and PSP use, which takes sprites and breaks them up into separate files taking a lot of the load off the system. It was a genius way to work around the low RAM of the PSP. This system only works on CPS-2 and NeoGeo arcade games. (Japanese developer created the base for this emu on PSP, maybe some source can be used for that?) Games from what I can tell would not be possible to run full speed in MAME because MAME can't handle the split files. Most CPS-2 Games would also run pretty sluggishly on the SDL Mame we have out, and probably couldn't be run reasonably as the CPS2 system covers games up until 1996 or so.

The original NeoGeo Emulator and CPS2 Emu that run most stuff full speed on PSP (with less advanced hardware!) have many games that are improbable to run with MAME. (Marvel Vs Series, Super SFII Turbo, Saturday Nigh Slam Masters etc)

Honestly I would like to see both of the GP2X projects gnGeo for NeoGeo cabs and CPS1/2 have installable .debs for n900. The original dev also made a fullspeed CPS-1 emulator that was ported over to GP2X as well from PSP that works fullspeed on all those games.

If you want more info about the original dev and what not maybe I can do some digging and PM you? Anyway, thanks for your great work so far man, love the PS3 controller capability!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grits'N'Gravy For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the extensive information. This confirms my own finds: DnD games run on CPS2EMU on my N900 full speed with fine sound and I've seen reports of 50% speed on SDLMAME.

Is NeoGeo the base system for the Metal Slug series? If so, I am interested in it. Where's the source?

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Thanks for the extensive information. This confirms my own finds: DnD games run on CPS2EMU on my N900 full speed with fine sound and I've seen reports of 50% speed on SDLMAME.

Is NeoGeo the base system for the Metal Slug series? If so, I am interested in it. Where's the source?
Metal Slug would be the perfect accompaniment on the N900. Does Ghouls & Ghosts also use CPS2? I can't remember offhand. We'd need easier diagonals for that. I've tried on DrNokSnes and it's not easy without a bluetooth joystick/pad.

Also, would games like 19xx require portrait mode to take advantage of the whole screen?

hi all

will this run playstation 2 games?and what kind of speed quality/playability is possible with this emu?i had a ps2 emu for my pc but hardly worked well.and it would be funny as hell if this would be perfectly playable because i had 3ghz for on the pc version but this is half a gig lol.
any ideas when it will be officially available on the maemo downloads?whats going on with the ps1 emulator?

also could somebody please tell me if there is/will be a dreamcast emulator for the n900?

thanks in advance.
loving the maemo community x

Yes, the NeoGeo emulator that came out for PSP and GP2x runs everything from Metal Slug all the way up to King of Fighters 2000, I think you'd be looking for gnGeo for GP2X.

As far as Ghouls and Ghosts or Ghosts and Goblins, most of the capcom classics run on CPS-1. 1943, GnG series, Street Fighter I through Street Fighter II Turbo. CPS-2 supports stuff like Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs Street Fighter, Super SFII Turbo, and some newer shooters.

A good benchmark for a speed test of your CPS-2 Emu Port, Smoku, would probably be something like Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter or Street Fighter Alpha 3. Those games should CRAWL on the SDL Mame emu lol! (But ran damn near full on PSP!)

Unfortunately I broke my PSP over a year ago and don't have GP2X so I don't know where the sources can be found anymore. All I know is that they were all done by the same Japanese developer so the code should be pretty similar for all of them.

Thanks for taking these projects over man! Good luck and if you need some info about proper speed/interaction on most CPS-2 games I have been playing Street Fighter long enough to figure out when things aren't right.

Last edited by Grits'N'Gravy; 2010-02-21 at 17:14.

would love to test this emu, is it ready for download yet?

Originally Posted by scuddy View Post
would love to test this emu, is it ready for download yet?
If you're not scared of the command line, look at the first post for a port by kkito.
If you do, you need to wait for my GUI frontend.

Tags
bada blows, bada rox