Posts: 286 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ down south
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Well, not the PSX emulators as they don't actually ship the BIOS files with them.

That said, I do find all this Internet lawyer **** hilarious. I certainly could not give two fücks if the emulators come with BIOS files. At best, the person who has included them has saved me from doing a Google.
i hear ya pal...its that whiter than white ...god syndrome..gets on my tits too. so maybe not psx stuff but what bout all the others?

on that basis..the weight watchers app that has been created is using the official formula's...how is that considered???

several other apps use info and formulas that perhaps belong to other people/companies

The Following User Says Thank You to dread123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by dread123 View Post
i hear ya pal...its that whiter than white ...god syndrome..gets on my tits too. so maybe not psx stuff but what bout all the others?
That's an absolute crock of crap.

You're looking at this from a purely selfish consumer standpoint. That's fine for you. But some of us have worked hard to build and support a community here, and I for one will be damned if I'm going to sit back and be silent while cowboys put that at risk.

Maemo already went through this once, and we don't want that sort of attention again.

Let's stay off the legal radar.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
a purely consumer point...yes because without me and others whom purchase the machines..there would be no community!
where was the community..when nokia announced Meego and decided to shaft us all?well those on fremantle anyways...i could go on!
this consumer point is what keeps nokia alive..not community forums...its my money they want not my post count!

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Do you really want a repeat of the last copyright debacle?
Well, Nokia airing a video of their shop workers playing SNES games in their Helsinki flagship store wasn't the best of ideas...

Most emulator providers are doing the right thing, and it's easy: don't include proprietary objects with your package. Done. Tell customers to get acquainted with Google.
Have you seen the threads started by some people recently? They can't even search on this forum, let alone use Google...

Take fms' emulators for example. Some people were not able to vote them up in extras-testing due to not having ROMs for the emulator. Homebrew ROMs are easy to come across, but I'm pretty sure that free, compatible BIOSes are hard to come across... (C-Bios is the only one that comes to mind but there are probably more. Not many more, but there probably are more.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Have you seen the threads started by some people recently? They can't even search on this forum, let alone use Google...
Surely you're not going to depend on logical fallacies to support including proprietary materials in Maemo repositories.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
this is the sort of thread that makes me think that devlopers etc should sack off nokia repos and host their own repos...that way the app bashers cant say ****! then perhaps they would have to find something else to debate over...perhaps posting off topic in the off topic area??? food for thought lol

a purely consumer point...yes because without me and others whom purchase the machines..there would be no community!
where was the community..when nokia announced Meego and decided to shaft us all?well those on fremantle anyways...i could go on!
this consumer point is what keeps nokia alive..not community forums...its my money they want not my post count!
Look, let's avoid emotionalism and get some facts clear.

For one, I'm a huge believer in emulators. I cannot overstate that. I believe emulators are a big key to the success of a platform like Maemo (er... MeeGo).

That said, I'm also a believer in avoiding pointless risk-- especially risk that could damage the very thing you guys are seeking to support.

You can't have it both ways. This quasi open solution is fragile enough. Start putting the community at risk of legal action by including proprietary materials in your packages, and you risk undermining the very thing that enables it.

It really helps to look at the whole picture here, and not little selfish slices.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Surely you're not going to depend on logical fallacies to support including proprietary materials in Maemo repositories.
You're right: That is a **** argument. I just find this whole thread reminiscent of Wikipedia's deletion policies (and people may remember from IRC what I think of the people who carry them out).

Anyway, I've given my view. I've been on this forum long enough to know that the majority rules and dread123 and I seem to be in the minority.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
this is the sort of thread that makes me think that devlopers etc should sack off nokia repos and host their own repos...that way the app bashers cant say ****! then perhaps they would have to find something else to debate over...perhaps posting off topic in the off topic area??? food for thought lol
I don't think you're getting the point here:

Maemo.org != Nokia

extras, testing and devel repos aren't Nokia either.

I for one second the opinion that proprietary content should not be available through maemo.org because it endangers the maemo.org-community.

just my 2ct.
Aydan

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aydan For This Useful Post:
I don't see why a discussion is even necessary.
1) Emulators are fine.
2) Copyrighted material (ROMs): Only copyright holders can give you permission to use it. That's the law. So, ROMs are not fine.
3) Keep 1), remove 2) (if any) from the repositories.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, copyright, piracy, policy, repository, responsibility