Posts: 296 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
My idea (at the Summit) was this:

1. Take first photo and it slides to the left, but leaves the right-most edge of the photo visible on the left side of the screen.
2. Line second photo up with first photo (live, on-camera) and take photo. This photo then slides over.
3. Etc.

Do this four times, or a thousand. Easy and wouldn't require (much) "stitching."

Tim
Yh that was my idea, just didnt say it properly.
on all them sony ericsson phones theres the panorama option where you do what you described about, a little bit of each picture is left behind so u can line up.
Then for n900 you just do it more times until u complete 360 degrees and then the app automatically crops and slices

The Following User Says Thank You to Anwarboy11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
It sound like an interesting idea, not too difficult to do also.

I wonder if it would be possible to integrate it with the standard camera app or do we need to do that as external? Is it open-sourced?

The Following User Says Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Automatic panorama stitching can be done on a mobile phone, and it looks very impressive. See here:

http://studierstube.icg.tu-graz.ac.a..._ar/panomt.php

We need someone (the original devs or someone from the Maemo community) to write a similar app for the N900!
This is quite interesting, not what i was thinking off, but something new.
Maybe another possible way to make ure own desktops
Looks quite complicated tho

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
hugin - a gtk tool to create any kind of 360° pics out of a bunch of pics. if we take the basics: autopano and enfuse we could just build a 360° pic out of it, splitting in fourth isnt that hard...
autopano (auto pan and asign overlapping points) is the easy step but stitching it together needs some more power...
On my SE W880i the camera has a 3stitch mode where you see the last pics edge in the finder to align by yourself, pics arent that good but that can be improved, with that you could just split the pic in fourth afterward and you'r done

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
1. Take first photo and it slides to the left, but leaves the right-most edge of the photo visible on the left side of the screen.
2. Line second photo up with first photo (live, on-camera) and take photo. This photo then slides over.
I have an old Nikon 5600 that does something a lot like this - after you take a picture there is a semi-transparent overlay of the edge of the previous picture picture. It works well on the camera, though it doesn't do any stitching for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Automatic panorama stitching can be done on a mobile phone, and it looks very impressive. See here:

http://studierstube.icg.tu-graz.ac.a..._ar/panomt.php

We need someone (the original devs or someone from the Maemo community) to write a similar app for the N900!
Wow, that is pretty incredible.

The Following User Says Thank You to thommy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
That's the panoman app i have on my N95 with an added "slice into four pics" after approving final panoramic image. Didn't Nokia buy that company?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Any dev interested yet ??

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
It's definately not new to Nokia.. The Nokia 5700 XM had the panorama mode.. It lets you move the camera right or left and it automatically takes the pics until it creates the panoramic picture.. I loved that feature, and have missed it when I had the N95.. etc

I sure hope someone does create an add-on for that!

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
My idea (at the Summit) was this:

3. Etc.

Do this four times, or a thousand. Easy and wouldn't require (much) "stitching."

Tim
Exactly the feature I have on my digicam. It's pretty cool, but to give the real panoramic effect, you still need an intelligent photostich software in the backend that checks where the pixels overlay and cuts the pics at the right points.
That's the hard part, but without it, I see no usecase, because you could just make 2 pictures yourself and even with paint you can overlay the edges, to get the same poor result, which just doesn't look convincing.

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cherrypie For This Useful Post: