Posts: 296 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Manchester
Support the idea!

The Following User Says Thank You to Anwarboy11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Well, how about this approach:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30387

Basically, rather than doing "in camera stitching" it would just grab video frames and auto-assemble them into a big picture. Getting that to run on hand-held devices would blow away any megapixel ratings. The resulting picture would be as big as you want, irrespective of any sensor limitation. Of course, it would only work on static scenes.

I was interested in the N810, but the process should be able to support multiple devices. Also, there's not too much difference between generating a flat verses 360 panorama.

There is software available that does stitch video frames to a single image, so it's just a matter of getting that to run under a Maemo device, getting the data from the video camera in the first place, and getting that data run through the app.

I've no idea if it's possible for something like an N810 to run this much data crunching, at least in a reasonable amount of time, but at least there's a known process

Quoting my original post here:

Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
In doing some research, I've found: Videoorbits from: http://comparametric.sourceforge.net

Which basically does what I want. It takes a video (in a very specific frame by frame format) and runs it through a 4-stage process, ending with a single composite image.

Now, I have no idea how fast it runs, or if it can even run at all on something like an N810, but I'd like to find out. However, it's a little beyond my current abilities.

As I see it, here are the steps to get there:

1) compile videooribits on the N810 (I've not set up a sandbox nor compiled anything yet.)

2) get some app that can pull a video stream from the N810 camera.

3) convert that video stream to the format required by videoorbits.

4) run the video through the conversion process

The Following User Says Thank You to fixerdave For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
Well, how about this approach:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30387

Basically, rather than doing "in camera stitching" it would just grab video frames and auto-assemble them into a big picture. Getting that to run on hand-held devices would blow away any megapixel ratings. The resulting picture would be as big as you want, irrespective of any sensor limitation. Of course, it would only work on static scenes.

I was interested in the N810, but the process should be able to support multiple devices. Also, there's not too much difference between generating a flat verses 360 panorama.

There is software available that does stitch video frames to a single image, so it's just a matter of getting that to run under a Maemo device, getting the data from the video camera in the first place, and getting that data run through the app.

I've no idea if it's possible for something like an N810 to run this much data crunching, at least in a reasonable amount of time, but at least there's a known process

Quoting my original post here:
So is anyone willing to develop this app?

Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
That's the panoman app i have on my N95 with an added "slice into four pics" after approving final panoramic image. Didn't Nokia buy that company?
never knew this existed! thanks! Not going to buy the full version for symbian as I expect my n900 in two weeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to RDJEHV For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RDJEHV View Post
never knew this existed! thanks! Not going to buy the full version for symbian as I expect my n900 in two weeks.
Lets just hope someone develops the app for n900

N900 APP REVIEW SITE IS NOW LIVE
http://maemoappreviews.blogspot.com/

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
That's the panoman app. Got it on my N95 minus the desktop part.

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
My idea (at the Summit) was this:

1. Take first photo and it slides to the left, but leaves the right-most edge of the photo visible on the left side of the screen.
2. Line second photo up with first photo (live, on-camera) and take photo. This photo then slides over.
3. Etc.

Do this four times, or a thousand. Easy and wouldn't require (much) "stitching."

Tim

The whole reason that "stitching" software exists is that images made using the above approach don't look good.

The Following User Says Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
I want a app like panoman for my n900!

The Following User Says Thank You to unkn0wn For This Useful Post: