Posts: 51 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Midwest
a SMS application that works like an instant messenger (like yahoo messenger, ICQ, aim). instead of using a phone (i spent so much money on text messaging on AT&T) might as well use tablets like my N800 to send SMS. so im hoping Nokia/linux will develop a software for free SMS on N900. jush wishing...

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Why is WiMAX support not on the top of everyone's list?
because I live outside of any of the major cities in the UK and don't have WiMAX coverage, and I'm not expecting to get it any time in the next few years. We've got got HSDPA coverage though, and I've got ready access to a selection of HSDPA enabled handsets.

Faster CPU ... Faster memory swapping so we could really fly through and an even larger capacity battery.

I think the option of a SIM slot makes a lot of sense as well for dedicated mobile access without a phone... Wimax is interesting, but until it actually rolls out I don't care very much. I can get an always on connection now with my phone if I want -- it's not WiMax speed, but it gives me my email, web, IM etc.

WiMax is a 2H 2008 roll now with the Sprint / Clearwire team. at least beyond the existing pilots

Originally Posted by ferjant View Post
a SMS application that works like an instant messenger (like yahoo messenger, ICQ, aim). instead of using a phone (i spent so much money on text messaging on AT&T) might as well use tablets like my N800 to send SMS. so im hoping Nokia/linux will develop a software for free SMS on N900. jush wishing...
Agree - especially when linked to your Nokia phone this should just work out of the box.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
This oughta save you some dough: http://gizmosms.com/.

}:^)~
YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt

I like that one, but there's no way to easily manage replies... send only.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Maybe because no one needs to ask for it. We all know it's coming.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Midwest
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
This oughta save you some dough: http://gizmosms.com/.

YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt
that's neat. tried it but it embeds unnecessary text, kinda confusing. have you ever tried YehBA? http://www.yehba.com/home/

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
that's neat. tried it but it embeds unnecessary text, kinda confusing. have you ever tried YehBA? http://www.yehba.com/home/
I've never SMS'd before in my life! I just thought I'd pass along a link that sprang into my conscious.

YehBA sounds interesting, though. It's even got one of those ker-azy dot-bomb names! If only there was Java support for the tablet, we could use software like this.

YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt

In the interest of focusing on the practicalities rather than technical specs:

How I want to use an n900

I should be able to take decent pictures. Nothing crazy-good; 3+MP with a nice lens would be fine. Vid-cap would be a bonus.

I should be able to leave my laptop at home more often. Honestly, the n800's already pretty close on this. Some straightforward horsepower advancement and it'll be a suitable replacement for whenever I don't need Windows.

I should be able to get rid of my PMP. Kagu/Canola are pretty close, but I do want more storage. Particularly with the recent improvements to video and the n810's promise of even more.

It should have more internal storage in general. It'd be nice if I wasn't lugging around an external disk or laptop for 20GB of data. This also feeds into the pics/pmp features. More storage makes those features far better. (no, a deck of SD cards does not count)

I want to do (more/better) handheld gaming. The n810 looks really close to 'good enough', particularly with the slide-out dpad/kb. But it'd help to have support of the new NGage platform, 3d drivers and a bit more horsepower.

I want to get rid of my phone. The n810 is small enough for me. GSM+edge is fine.

Barring that, I'd like to leave my phone in my pocket/backpack. E.g. use the NIT and BT to control the phone. Switching back and forth between devices is obnoxious. Particularly when I'm calling people in regards to data I have in front of me on the n800, or trying to keep contact information in sync.

Problems with the n800 I'd like to see fixed:

UI. It should be far more responsive and finger-friendly.
Charging. It should use the microUSB for charging.

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist