Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Probably has a bit to do with
(a) FCC cert
(b) investigating anything which might have patent issues
(c) not really caring as much about NA as iniital launch

In any respect, better to meter one's expectations than to jump up and down on a forum. There are enough footprints here from that happening with other releases.
You tend to go for FCC certification once you've made the decision to sell/distribute in the the North American market. Apparently that's not the case yet for for Jolla.

I truly doubt if a phone that can be sold in the EU would have to worry about patent issues in the US/Canada market - I can't think of any phone that's not done that that originated in the EU first, perhaps a couple of Chinese phones quickly come to mind.

But as it stands, it's all speculation and I'm willing to bet you're more right than I on this. I just have to question the somewhat lack of communication to non-EU backers while soliciting worldwide attention. A staged release would have made sense if they didn't make it sound like they were ready to go worldwide as noted per their worldwide solicitation and pre-purchase agendas.

The question does remain; will the enthusiasm remain? This feels too close to the Nokia N9 release. Awesome product from Finland deemed too good to be released in a market where I unfortunately live and no clear communication about when/if it will arrive.

I'm personally not going to jump through the same hoops I had to for the N9 only to be dumped a year later by that other Finnish company.

But that's me. I'm not the average consumer. But I'm still in the dark.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Wait for the reviews. There will be many soon. If it loves to half of the hype, it maybe worth buying. Why just get a gadget for the sake of having a gadget. N900 made sense, n9 was a disappointment. Will Jolla significantly improve on that remains to be seen.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Why just get a gadget for the sake of having a gadget. N900 made sense, n9 was a disappointment.
Opposite for me. N9 made sense and did not disappoint me, N900 did not - AT&T support was EDGE only.

Jolla... read the title. I'm in the waiting room.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
I am still waiting for modem specs :S

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJJonosound For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Possibly long wait unless you're chinese.

In this interview from today http://yle.fi/uutiset/jollan_puhelin..._yksin/6955214 the CEO says that they have resources only for release in european and chinese markets. Markets beyond that would require local partners (networks etc).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
In this interview from today http://yle.fi/uutiset/jollan_puhelin..._yksin/6955214 the CEO says that they have resources only for release in european and chinese markets. Markets beyond that would require local partners (networks etc).
Out of curiosity, do they say when they are releasing to China?

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
I would translate the word (aluksi) used for China schedule as 'near term'.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This feels too close to the Nokia N9 release. Awesome product from Finland deemed too good to be released in a market where I unfortunately live.
My hope is that, because the company behind the Jolla actually wants the phone to succeed, that this will hopefully mean longer-term, more persisting plans for it, and support. Remember that the N9 seemed very unloved by it's very own manufacturer.

Received my payment email today for shipping to Austria which would then be forwarded on to Canada. I placed a 0€ pre-order on 5/23 and subsequently changed my shipping address with Jolla Care some months later.

$600 + re-shipping + import tax = $700. A warranty claim would have to follow the same expensive shipping route via Austria. And I do have memories of being stung in an unsupported country with the N900 warranty.

I have every confidence that the OS functionality and the apps running on Sailfish will be the best out there, however I'm hanging back for the moment. I need a phone that makes proper stereo recordings more than anything.

So, no update on supported frequencies yet? If it will take them another year to start officially selling to US, but T-Mobile LTE frequency is supported, I'll probably buy it through some on-line retailers (Newegg, Amazon etc.) which hopefully should start selling Jollas soon.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-11-27 at 18:01.