Active Topics

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by LTman View Post
@dr_frost there are easy to follow howtos to boot Ubuntu off n900 microsd
Yes, but i must admit this is still not the way i want to go, as stated before, when a device surfaces with HW keyboard and a screen thats between 4-5" that runs x68 & full bios, in other words a N900 thats bigger and totally like a normal labtop, so you have an option to boot from USB CD/Stick/HDD to install operating system that would be awesome

so far the closest i have seen is tablets with win7 running atom cpu's.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
and for any of you people who want to tether n900 (and maybe other devices) there is a work around for the new problem where it fails to connect and here it is:
first things first install wvdial+gnome ppp +dependencies(all in all 6 files if you arent using apt-get) then connect the n900 via usb then open gnome ppp click detect modem under settings then do then tether normally

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Asus going back to it's Eee roots. The next few versions of the Asus Eee PC will ship with Ubuntu pre-installed!

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/06/asus-eee-pcs-ubuntu/
http://www.sys-con.com/node/1857570

This applies to the upcoming: 1001PXD, 1011PX and 1015PX versions.

Let's hope that this knocks $100 off of the price!

That's it....

I just lost 1 whole hour trying to wrestle my work machine into working. The culprit? Unity. It decided to restart, but failed to load the launcher bar or the header. It wouldn't be so bad, but I was unable to use shortcuts to launch apps, so I was stuck interacting with an empty desktop. Restarting again didn't help the situation.

I couldn't launch the browser to trouble shoot. But even if I could, why should I? I could care less about the internal functioning or options of Wayland or Compiz. This is a big failure of a supposedly stable system.

From my perspective this is a big fail from a champion of OSS. I hope I am alone in these experiences.

I am foregoing Unity until it is more production ready. Thankfully, I was able to restart in Gnome, as a force re-install would have turned me off completely from the OS. It seems that Unity is implemented on a rickety framework of inheritance. It is a shame that poor engineering can even be seen from this very high level of interaction.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
so you finally gave up like me and most others

i will also look into ubuntu 11.04 later when it is improved, but for now im sticking to 10.10, it just works.

But will say i have not had any unstable issues in 11.04, just big ignorance again and again.

My minecraft server still runs 11.04 and it has and uptime of 7 days now, but before that it was running fine with an uptime over 23 days.
So i can not claim unstable from there, but it only runs minecraft server, nothing else, so i can't say for sure if it where to crap out on me with "normal" usage.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post

i will also look into ubuntu 11.04 later when it is improved, but for now im sticking to 10.10, it just works.

But will say i have not had any unstable issues in 11.04, just big ignorance again and again.

My minecraft server still runs 11.04 and it has and uptime of 7 days now, but before that it was running fine with an uptime over 23 days.
So i can not claim unstable from there, but it only runs minecraft server, nothing else, so i can't say for sure if it where to crap out on me with "normal" usage.
My messages come across as though the OS is unstable, but that's not the case. The OS is really stable, but Unity (the UI -- for those that don't know) is not stable on my system. So yes, I've thrown up my arms and given up on this new desktop alternative.

23 days of uptime is significant. It will probably go a year if you leave it. I would love to be able to say the same, but I'm rebooting once a day!

My time is pretty valuable to me, and losing time due to software quirks is not cool. Tomorrow morning, I have teleconference meeting. I use SIP for all of my phone calls. If I had been unable to get into my main box, I would have been at a major loss.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
My messages come across as though the OS is unstable, but that's not the case. The OS is really stable, but Unity (the UI -- for those that don't know) is not stable on my system. So yes, I've thrown up my arms and given up on this new desktop alternative.

23 days of uptime is significant. It will probably go a year if you leave it. I would love to be able to say the same, but I'm rebooting once a day!

My time is pretty valuable to me, and losing time due to software quirks is not cool. Tomorrow morning, I have teleconference meeting. I use SIP for all of my phone calls. If I had been unable to get into my main box, I would have been at a major loss.
Sorry missed that, and that really sucks when you have that kind of dependency on your machine.

The biggest "problem" i have with my 11.04 machine is that VNC doesn't update the screen probably and this is pretty ignoring, like i can open xterm on it and close xterm but the terminal window will still be displayed even though it is gone on the screen of the machine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post

My ubuntu machine is pretty old so I moved over to xubuntu a while back, and I've got to say it's pretty good for me. I don't really use compiz on it, although I do on my other newer machine, on this machine I don't need the extra bells and whistles that Gnome brings with it. The only thing that held me back before was the messing about to get networked drives up and running, but now that Thunar handles it, it's xubuntu all the way! 11.04 has brought no real problems.

The one issue that I do have is my old GeForce2 mx graphics card - somewhere around 10.xx they messed up the proprietory drivers and I've not managed to get them working again - although that's also down to my laziness.

Edit:
I forgot to add, I think where they're going is trying to make it as flashy as possible with great UIs running on fast new machines, which is where they will lose the likes of me who will keep using an older hardware for as long as possible. Thankfully there are distros like xubuntu that allow us to keep updated without the bloatware.

Last edited by mrsellout; 2011-06-07 at 23:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Liverpool, England
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
My ubuntu machine is pretty old so I moved over to xubuntu a while back, and I've got to say it's pretty good for me. I don't really use compiz on it, although I do on my other newer machine, on this machine I don't need the extra bells and whistles that Gnome brings with it. The only thing that held me back before was the messing about to get networked drives up and running, but now that Thunar handles it, it's xubuntu all the way! 11.04 has brought no real problems.

The one issue that I do have is my old GeForce2 mx graphics card - somewhere around 10.xx they messed up the proprietory drivers and I've not managed to get them working again - although that's also down to my laziness.

Edit:
I forgot to add, I think where they're going is trying to make it as flashy as possible with great UIs running on fast new machines, which is where they will lose the likes of me who will keep using an older hardware for as long as possible. Thankfully there are distros like xubuntu that allow us to keep updated without the bloatware.
i switched to linuxmint 11 on my old machine i have in the garden after ubuntu 11.4 was too much for it. i dont know why (as mint is ubuntu based) but the old girl is as quick as ever

The Following User Says Thank You to poogash For This Useful Post:
Long time since we where discussing in this thread...

I have a question to my fellow linux users, is there a potential risk in running 10.10 now that it is no longer supported.

I have been testing and tweaking like mad in 12.04, but i still cannot get it like i want, to many things do not work, and 10.10 is still the best version for me, be it that there are advantages in 12.04 for sure but the disadvantages (for me) way to much

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post: