Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
The Maemo Flasher 3.5 was released yesterday.

I was wondering if anyone has tried it on their N900. Does it reset the device completely and safely?

I don't see myself flashing it in the near term (it is my primary phone/pocket-computer) but it is nice to have the comforting thought of having the power to do it when sh*t hits the fan.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
The Maemo Flasher 3.5 was released yesterday.

I was wondering if anyone has tried it on their N900. Does it reset the device completely and safely?

I don't see myself flashing it in the near term (it is my primary phone/pocket-computer) but it is nice to have the comforting thought of having the power to do it when sh*t hits the fan.
I've used the beta versions and it worked just fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Can someone with an n900 please post the output of:

flasher --help

Thanks.

EDIT:

Oh, duh. Never mind.

Last edited by daperl; 2009-10-28 at 14:10.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
I have used it yesterday with the final version (of the flasher!) and more times with the beta version and all worked flawlessly.

Of course, you need an image to flash to the device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 82 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ West Coast, USA
What's the purpose of flashing your device? I'm new to all of this Maemo stuff and ordered the N900 already. Should I have this utility at hand or will I not be needing it since I'm still an amateur lol.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
@ ABerry: No I don't believe you would need a tool like this... It's for flashing the Maemo software i think.. Kind of similar to Nemesis for Symbian (I think)..

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by ABerri View Post
What's the purpose of flashing your device? I'm new to all of this Maemo stuff and ordered the N900 already. Should I have this utility at hand or will I not be needing it since I'm still an amateur lol.
How often do you have to reinstall the windows or mac software to your desk/laptop?

In theory, you shouldn't need to flash at all. Unless you're very careless and very unlucky. A mate of mine used to completely reinstall windows every six months... but he used to install two or three "brilliant pieces of free software I just found" every day. After 6 months, the computer was screwed.

The main use of 'flashing software' is to get rid of the nasty, nasty carrier versions of software you get if you buy a carrier subsidised phone. (I'm looking at you, Orange!)

Stick to Ovi and Maemo extras for apps, and if you ever need to flash, we'll let you know. (and provide the dirty raincoat)

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lisbon, Portugal
good reason to flash the phone is when he doesn't want to boot. It's how mine is now.

The problem is that i can't find the image

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by dbcm View Post
The problem is that i can't find the image
As the device has not been released yet, there are no public images available.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Europe
The **** just hit the fan: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6014
Does it mean I won't be able to use my N900 until Nokia releases images for the N900?