me neither brontide. No A-GPS option in the GPS icon and it seems to act as though its not even talkng to anything.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
what's your listing from apt-get --list | grep gps?

Code:
Nokia-N810-23-14:~# dpkg --list |grep gps
ii  agps-ui                                          0.9-1beta                            A-GPS control UI
ii  gpsdriver                                        0.5.10                               binary driver for GPS5300 gps chip
ii  libgpsbt                                         0.2-42                               Library for finding paired GPS BT device and
ii  libgpsmgr                                        0.2-21                               Library for managing GPS daemon start and st
ii  liblocation0                                     0.30-1                               Library for controlling gpsd
ii  osso-gpsd                                        1.0-29                               GPS daemon for OSSO
ii  osso-statusbar-gps                               0.25-1                               Statusbar applet to indicate GPS status
I'm wonderng if somehow we got a bad package.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by combatdoc View Post
No A-GPS option in the GPS icon and it seems to act as though its not even talkng to anything.
Same here. I thought it was something I am doing (or not doing)...how does the a-gps work? Do we open it first? Keep it open? Does the location have to be exact? Seems like my fix time has gotten worse, too.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The first time you use A-GPS you _need_ an Internet connection.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
My systray GPS icon DOES NOT have enable or disable A-GPS and I have not only selected a nearby location I have also attempted using gconftool-2 to manually set the exact GPS coordinates
You use the A-GPS program in the startup menu in Extras to select your location.

Its always active, as soon as you are using GPS you are also using A-GPS.

From the blog entry:

Let me introduce A-GPS beta for N810!

Assisted GPS (A-GPS) provides assistance data for GPS calculations within the device. This application enables A-GPS on your N810 Internet Tablet device and provides improved GPS fix times.

In order to benefit from A-GPS you need to have:
* latest OS2008 SW version (DIABLO_4.2008.23-14 or later)
* possibility for internet connection.

You need set the reference location at the first time you use A-GPS and everytime you have moved a long distance
(>300 kilometers / 185 miles) from your previous reference location. Whenever your Internet Tablet gets a GPS fix
your reference location will be automatically updated accordingly.

Known issues:
* if reference location is set totally wrong, GPS may not get a fix at all

If you own the compatible device, please download and tell us what you think!
PS: I have exactly same GPS software as listed in above post!!

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-07-03 at 04:10. Reason: GPS software

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
The first time you use A-GPS you _need_ an Internet connection.

You use the A-GPS program in the startup menu in Extras to select your location.

Its always active, as soon as you are using GPS you are also using A-GPS.
It doesn't work... I've done all of the above and more... nothing, nadda, it doesn't work and has completly screwed up GPS in general. Even uninstalling A-GPS does not restore proper functioning of GPS.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
what's your listing from apt-get --list | grep gps?

Code:
Nokia-N810-23-14:~# dpkg --list |grep gps
ii  agps-ui                                          0.9-1beta                            A-GPS control UI
ii  gpsdriver                                        0.5.10                               binary driver for GPS5300 gps chip
ii  libgpsbt                                         0.2-42                               Library for finding paired GPS BT device and
ii  libgpsmgr                                        0.2-21                               Library for managing GPS daemon start and st
ii  liblocation0                                     0.30-1                               Library for controlling gpsd
ii  osso-gpsd                                        1.0-29                               GPS daemon for OSSO
ii  osso-statusbar-gps                               0.25-1                               Statusbar applet to indicate GPS status
I'm wonderng if somehow we got a bad package.
I have exactly the same packages.

The 'enable or disable A-GPS' is the first option (A-GPS support) in Settings menu of A-GPS app.

Originally Posted by alephito View Post
I have exactly the same packages.

The 'enable or disable A-GPS' is the first option (A-GPS support) in Settings menu of A-GPS app.
It's checked, so is packet data, but the third combo is blank and there is nothing to select.

You won't need to check packet data. That is for when you want to use via your mobile phone, over bluetooth. It works over WiFi too. You don't need to select anything then, only enable it.

You'll need Diablo too, btw.

You can provide feedback to Nokia (the author) here http://betalabs.nokia.com/blog/2008/...beta-for-n810/

It's checked, so is packet data, but the third combo is blank and there is nothing to select.
If you have a mobile phone configured to peer with over bluetooth it will be listed here. Else, it is empty. So, WiFi connections are NOT listed here. But WiFi connections will be used, if they're open.

The data A-GPS uses isn't much, you can easily use GPRS for this purpose.

Nope, nadda, nothing. Reboot nothing, remove agps, nothing, reinstall supl-daemon nothing.

I can't get a lock at all because of AGPS

Tags
a-gps, gps