Hii every one

yestarDay i download some program For liunx in .tar.bz2

and i want install it in My N900

Can some one help me ?

Depending what program and "for what Linux exactly" the difficulty ranges from easy to impossible.

First see http://wiki.maemo.org/General_precautions

and in case you didn't read it through properly let me state again that installing programs from weird sources when you don't really know what you are doing is a phenomenally bad idea.

If it's python/perl and designed to work with GTK or Hildon (the graphics toolkit) or it's compiled for ARM (unlikely if it's just some randon package from somewhere) then you can just:

"tar -xvjf package.tar.bz2" in your home directory (in terminal) to extract the package and there should be a file named something like the program.

If it's a source distribution then you need to install the SDK on your desktop machine to compile it.

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
It seems you're interested in NeoPwn, if you have this little understanding of Linux in general I can assure you a network security testing toolkit is not the first thing to start experimenting with.

Also from their FAQ:

Does the NeoPwn really run a full Linux operating system?

Yes. We have developed a custom kernel and filesystem based off of Debian Lenny and have optimized it for the hardware platform and have created module support for many devices.
This means you don't just install "a program" it's a full distribution with custom kernel and everything (basically you replace your Maemo operating system with NeoPwn operating system...)

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia, Moscow
.tar.bz2 is just an achive file for *nix world like zip or rar. It may contain everything you could imaging, text, pictures, but usually sources you need to compile and probably port as well.

Could anyone tell me please how to install pidgin-2.7.0.tar.bz2 on nokia n900? Please tell me step by step! I have pidgin on my phone already, installed it from repository but this one is newer than the one i installed so i would like to update it (i downloaded pidgin-2.7.0.tar.bz2 from the pidgin official site)

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Dodo85 View Post
Could anyone tell me please how to install pidgin-2.7.0.tar.bz2 on nokia n900? Please tell me step by step! I have pidgin on my phone already, installed it from repository but this one is newer than the one i installed so i would like to update it (i downloaded pidgin-2.7.0.tar.bz2 from the pidgin official site)
First of all it's probably not optified for maemo, so it's not sure it would work. but if you get source, you have to unpack it and compile it yourself.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
First of all it's probably not optified for maemo, so it's not sure it would work. but if you get source, you have to unpack it and compile it yourself.
Ok, then how can i compile it? Please tell me step by step! Thank you!

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Compiling isn't something you can do on-device (not without a lot of work).
Install pidgin from the repos.

Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Compiling isn't something you can do on-device (not without a lot of work).
Install pidgin from the repos.
I installed it already... Just wanna know how to compile it, even if a lot of work

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...l_Installation
Install the SDK, download the source inside the scratchbox ~
cd into the directory, run ./configure, then make.
You'll have to install and/or compile missing dependencies.
The SDK download is 2,475 items, totalling 772.9 MB (including the nokia-binaries)
The install unpacks to about 2GB as far as I know.
You need to have linux installed on your PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post: