Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
As for SIGSTOP, it definitely *do* the job. The question is, if it provides more power-saving, than monitoring of dbus signals use Remember, that this way *every* dbus signal is monitored, and script only "act" on some of them - but, power/resources is/are used already, even to monitor "other" signals.

That may be cause of why, every measurement show a little more power usage, when power-saving scripts monitor dbus. As opposed to "perceived battery life"
Well in this case, it depends on the amount of times you unlock your device... I mean, if somebody assents a worker to just slide his finger on the lock/unlock switch at the speed of 999 slides/sec he would certainly see a negative effect in battery life.

Dbus-signals are sent - in my script - when the device is locked, and when it is unlocked. The locking/unlocking process should not take long

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
To anyone wishing to use a different active profile:
1. Save the profile you want to use by:
kernel-config save xxx
2. leafpad /usr/local/bin/overclock
3. Replace the top most two lines starting by kernel-config with:
kernel-config load xxx
oh yeah! my question got answered without even asking

using the conservative governor feels like ondemand with the PATCH....thank you!

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ a spot
@Estel
Sorry for popping in but,
karam has provided a battery patch which reduces vfs_cache_pressure to 10 while the device is idle, and back to 100 when it is active. Many users stated that this gave tremendous battery life including me, and this patch is integrated into ammyt's patch along with other goodies which will further increase battery life so... got nothing to say but thanks ammyt a lot!

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
ammyt, thank you for fooling around with the governors. This is a nice test case.

sorry for OT, but:

Originally Posted by trisha02 View Post
so anyone.please bother to help me
My company usually charges 1k€ per business day for giving training/consulting/technical support so customers can legally:

- harass us via phone (daily if they deem it right)
- write mails in bad grammar
- keep asking same stuff over and over
- act nervous, putting pressure on us and don't keep quiet
- insist that they are right when they are clearly not
- change configuration keys at will that they do not know the meaning of
- etc., etc.

So please enlighten me why i respectively TMO should suck your sh*t up for free IN OUR SPARE TIME?

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-09-06 at 11:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Ready to install:
Place CPUTweak.sh.txt and CPUTweak.tar in ./MyDocs
Code:
root
apt-get install dbus-scripts
sh /home/user/MyDocs/CPUTweak.sh.txt
NOTE: The frequency set here is starving at 250 500 while idle, and 500 1150 ideal when on usage.

BE CAREFUL: IF YOU THINK/KNOW THAT YOUR N900 CAN'T SURVIVE THESE SETTINGS, BE SURE TO EDIT THE FREQUENCIES IN /usr/local/bin/overclock and underclock FILES, OR WELCOME A REBOOT LOOP

This is really a brilliant idea GigaByte, wonder why I've never thought aboout it, using dbus-scripts for a noble act like this is really intelligent, bravo

-UPDATE-
I added the effective vfs cache pressure trick into this patch, gives far even better battery life.

Updated archive attached.

-UPDATE2-
Usage of process SIGSTOP to pause greedy processes from running in the background.

Updated archive attached.
Ok, I see you can overlap swappolube 'vfs_cache_pressure' value if it exist in saved swappolube configuration as default, and differ from the static value you put in 'overclock' script.

What about this modification ? :

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Default value in case we don't have a swappolube config saved with 'vfs_cache_pressure' option value.
VFS_CACHE_PRESSURE=100

# Loading saved swappolube 'vfs_cache_pressure' value if it exist in /etc/event.d/tuning.
if $(grep vfs_cache_pressure /etc/event.d/tuning 1>/dev/null 2>&1) ; then
        VFS_CACHE_PRESSURE=$(grep vfs_cache_pressure /etc/event.d/tuning | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's|"||g')
fi

kernel-config load ideal
kernel-config limits 500 1150
echo ${VFS_CACHE_PRESSURE} > /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure
for process in browserd scim-panel-gtk image-viewer
do
  /usr/bin/pkill -CONT $process
done

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colin.stephane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by colin.stephane View Post
Ok, I see you can overlap swappolube 'vfs_cache_pressure' value if it exist in saved swappolube configuration as default, and differ from the static value you put in 'overclock' script.

What about this modification ? :

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Default value in case we don't have a swappolube config saved with 'vfs_cache_pressure' option value.
VFS_CACHE_PRESSURE=100

# Loading saved swappolube 'vfs_cache_pressure' value if it exist in /etc/event.d/tuning.
if $(grep vfs_cache_pressure /etc/event.d/tuning 1>/dev/null 2>&1) ; then
        VFS_CACHE_PRESSURE=$(grep vfs_cache_pressure /etc/event.d/tuning | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's|"||g')
fi

kernel-config load ideal
kernel-config limits 500 1150
echo ${VFS_CACHE_PRESSURE} > /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure
for process in browserd scim-panel-gtk image-viewer
do
  /usr/bin/pkill -CONT $process
done
Great. I don't have any Swappolube configs present but your post fills a gap.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I'm also sorry to being OT but, is there an option to also hide quotation messages with the 'Ignore' option?

You'd probably understand what I mean...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
I can tell that your doing an excellent job in my view. I don't know where did I read it before, but I've tested it, using the limits of 500 1150 with the conservative governor is the best usage in terms of battery vs. performance, so way to go.
what if smart reflex is enabled. then you cant give 1150 coz this will enter the reboot loop. does 500 1150 means that the phone will be at 500when its in rest and 1150mhz when its active? but we dont need 1150mhz always when phone is active like for chatting and all.

Originally Posted by trisha02 View Post
what if smart reflex is enabled. then you cant give 1150 coz this will enter the reboot loop. does 500 1150 means that the phone will be at 500when its in rest and 1150mhz when its active? but we dont need 1150mhz always when phone is active like for chatting and all.
Did anyone threaten you, your family, your tribe with a curse or murder or blowing your stupid butt with a nuke if you won't set your device at 1150? You can change it to any profile you want! I posted how a few posts above! Gosh you're the most ret*arded person I've ever met.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Well in this case, it depends on the amount of times you unlock your device...
Not exactly. Your script send info on detecting device lock and unlock, but to get that info, it need to monitor *every* signal, i.e. keyboard open/close, camera button pressed, proximity sensor covered or not etc. And, filter out phone lock and unlock for that.

That uses a lot of resources = power, I would say.

Originally Posted by GigaByte
@Estel
Sorry for popping in but,
karam has provided a battery patch which reduces vfs_cache_pressure to 10 while the device is idle, and back to 100 when it is active. Many users stated that this gave tremendous battery life including me, and this patch is integrated into ammyt's patch along with other goodies which will further increase battery life so...
Until someone provide easily-doable measurements proving that, it didn't happened AFAIK I haven't seen *single* one able to prove such subjective observations. Call it placebo effect.

// Edit

How to measure? For example, download shadowjk's bq27200.sh script, run it in loop mode ('bq27200.sh 5'), lock device. After 30 seconds, check average current (it shows average current from last 5 seconds, in 5 second interval). Repeat procedure witout lowering vfs_cache_pressure to 10.

More accurate test, would be to run same script outside loop mode (without '5' argument), on phone with properly calibrated (check my signature) fuel gauge, then lock in for few hours (10h, for example), unlock it after such time, and check how available mAh changed. Repeat same thing under same circumstances with vfs_cache_pressure 100 and phone also locked.

Curious ones may also test locked phone with our without this script at all, to check difference

Ps.

I'm not trying to depreciate value of work presented here - I'm saying that, to be correctly understood. Also, I feel sorry for OP of having to deal with trisha I suggest You to put him/her/it into ignore list... Hopeless case.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-09-05 at 17:18.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: