Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Hi Guys,

Finally have to jump off the rollercoaster ride that is the Nokia N900!

I loved this phone, and was planning on keeping it until the end of time...but when i took it to the gym yesterday some free weights dropped on it, and that was the end of that chapter.

It's too painful to buy the N900 again, i had 2-3yrs worth of work put into that phone and I can't do that again.

Can anyone advise me on the next best thing out there? I can't afford the N9 and in the UK its not available on contract so that rules it out.

I'm thinking about the Samsung Galaxy Nexus but the internal 16Gb memory and no 'Memory Card Slot' is not appealing to me...

I just want something that is customizable and looks sharp. I'm not interested in Iphone, and the Windows Phone UI doesn't look that great either. I'm thinking Android, but would like the latest operating system which i think is 'ice cream sandwich?'

Can anyone who has moved on from the N900 (or has 2 phones) advise what phone is worth the 18-month investment?

Thanks

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
go for another N900 noone can replace it, or maybe Gnote if u want an android,

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
No phone out there has the ICS yet except Nexus and yes your reason for staying away is very legitimate. The S2 out does the Nexus in every hardware category.

Get a dumb phone for a few months (or a second hand smartphone) - use gumtree etc and wait for the release of the Samsung S3.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
No phone out there has the ICS yet except Nexus and yes your reason for staying away is very legitimate. The S2 out does the Nexus in every hardware category.

Get a dumb phone for a few months (or a second hand smartphone) - use gumtree etc and wait for the release of the Samsung S3.
I was thinking about getting a 'dumb phone' and just saving for the N9 or G3.

The problem is, the N900 was my baby and i used it everyday. I need a gadget to keep me busy, but a dumb phone won't do that. It'll take me a few months to save for a N9 and i'm not sure when the G3 is out?

@ibrakalifa Gnote looks a bit clunky (ironic coming from the n900) and it doesn't run ice cream sandwich?

The Following User Says Thank You to nathaneous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by nathaneous View Post
I was thinking about getting a 'dumb phone' and just saving for the N9 or G3.

The problem is, the N900 was my baby and i used it everyday. I need a gadget to keep me busy, but a dumb phone won't do that. It'll take me a few months to save for a N9 and i'm not sure when the G3 is out?
G3 will probably be announced in April and be out in May/June.

I know how you feel about having a gadget to keep you busy. Unfortunately buying a phone on pay as you go is very expensive unless its something you can use for a while and you can defend the purchase as a good investment. N9 is one device - and everyday more and more exciting opportunities for tweaking are coming.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
nathaneous, maybe send your old N900 to someone who needs parts? Just a suggestion.

The Following User Says Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
These things are pretty sturdy.

Depending on the weights you dropped on it, you're looking at replacing the screen and back cover.

Anyways, if you want to get another phone, a GNote is sweet, but use a 3310 while waiting for the official GNote ICS update.

Another option, while masochistic, is buying a Toshiba AC100 and using it as a phone manually with AT commands.

Posts: 518 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ italy
Hi Guys,

Finally have to jump off the rollercoaster ride that is the Nokia N900!

I loved this phone, and was planning on keeping it until the end of time...but when i took it to the gym yesterday some free weights dropped on it, and that was the end of that chapter.

It's too painful to buy the N900 again, i had 2-3yrs worth of work put into that phone and I can't do that again.

Can anyone advise me on the next best thing out there? I can't afford the N9 and in the UK its not available on contract so that rules it out.

I'm thinking about the Samsung Galaxy Nexus but the internal 16Gb memory and no 'Memory Card Slot' is not appealing to me...

I just want something that is customizable and looks sharp. I'm not interested in Iphone, and the Windows Phone UI doesn't look that great either. I'm thinking Android, but would like the latest operating system which i think is 'ice cream sandwich?'

Can anyone who has moved on from the N900 (or has 2 phones) advise what phone is worth the 18-month investment?

Thanks
s***t... i'm sorry for that

But.. It's time to change my friend, i feel to tell you "take the iphone" why?

1 good customercare
2 goog warranty product
3 good app market
4 good acessories

i'll do the same becouse before of the n900 i had a N97 32gb (500 euros).. Nokia isn't good as years ago, keep your money and deserve it for something of better good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to santiago For This Useful Post:
@ibrakalifa Gnote looks a bit clunky (ironic coming from the n900) and it doesn't run ice cream sandwich?
The "NOTE" does look chunky...but it feels beautiful in the hand (if you have bear hands). It fits into most pockets (not skinnies).

It comes with Android 2.3.5 and TouchWizz 4 which is the best Android ROM from all the OEMs. You can run CM9 (which is ICS "Advanced") but just a beta for now. Samsung will update it to ICS with TouchWizz 5...by which time there will be a stable version of 4.0 MIUI/CM9.

Despite new competitors its still the best device out there as far as I've noticed, but hold on to your money if you think its a little big for you. More worthy competitors will be available in the next 2 months, thats a given.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post: