My biggest expectation for mobile device is some device running open source OS and have no limitation for OS upgraded and driver open.

The closest OS is Mer and it almost already succeed except ARM CPU manufacturer refuse to provide open source driver.

Why Mer wait for special manufacturer? There are many manufacturers for same level ARM CPU. Some hope to keep sth secret for high profit but this choice shouldn't be the only choice of all manufacturers.

After Mer have been success on one platform then more hardware manufacturer will choose to compatible with Mer otherwise they will lose a big market.

All user who have suffered from 18 month support then be abandoned and forced to buy new device should push independent mobile OS.

Mer should find the best way to success and not just wait for sth happen.

Mer perhaps doesn't have same goal with one ARM cpu manufacturer but independent OS shouldn't depend on any one. It should be the leader of this history trend.

The Following User Says Thank You to u2maemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by u2maemo View Post
My biggest expectation for mobile device is some device running open source OS and have no limitation for OS upgraded and driver open.

The closest OS is Mer and it almost already succeed except ARM CPU manufacturer refuse to provide open source driver.

Why Mer wait for special manufacturer? There are many manufacturers for same level ARM CPU. Some hope to keep sth secret for high profit but this choice shouldn't be the only choice of all manufacturers.

After Mer have been success on one platform then more hardware manufacturer will choose to compatible with Mer otherwise they will lose a big market.

All user who have suffered from 18 month support then be abandoned and forced to buy new device should push independent mobile OS.

Mer should find the best way to success and not just wait for sth happen.

Mer perhaps doesn't have same goal with one ARM cpu manufacturer but independent OS shouldn't depend on any one. It should be the leader of this history trend.
Right, Look at MeeGo instead - they seem to want open source drivers too. But for most visions and ideas, MeeGo is the way to go.

I'll still be providing a Fremantle base for N8x0 under the Mer 'brand'.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
The problem with Megoo is that it's not Maemo. It is built with QT and RPM. I for instance want GTK+ and Debian. That is one of the goods with Mer.

I have not yet had any experiance of Mer but have looked more and more on it lately. (In swedish, Mer = More)

Btw.. How well do Mer run on N900, are the phone functions working?

And i do support u2meamos thoughts..

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
What I'm hoping from Mer eventually would be something like what Openinkpot is trying to be to e-readers(a generic independant distro one can deploy on multiple e-readers). A generic independant distro one could deploy on a tablet device and have it work. MeeGo I don't really see it going that way.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
What I'm hoping from Mer eventually would be something like what Openinkpot is trying to be to e-readers(a generic independant distro one can deploy on multiple e-readers). A generic independant distro one could deploy on a tablet device and have it work. MeeGo I don't really see it going that way.
I don't see any conflicts in MeeGo with that aim.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
It's governed by Intel and Nokia, and Linux Fundation is it's home. Frankly I don't really trust any of the three to be on the same page. But that's simply a personal reason.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

It's governed by Intel and Nokia, and Linux Fundation is it's home. Frankly I don't really trust any of the three to be on the same page. But that's simply a personal reason.
And it's open source from the beginning. Fork, if needed.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Berkshire
From what I've read, Mer is dead; Meego, I don't know, too early to say. I'd certainly like something that prolongs the life of the n8x0, since the n900 is not the replacement I want for them.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
From what I've read, Mer is dead; Meego, I don't know, too early to say. I'd certainly like something that prolongs the life of the n8x0, since the n900 is not the replacement I want for them.
Huh, so Mer is dead just like that? I guess Meego have a better chance being that it will have too strong companies behind it to make sure it goes well in a way ubuntu does. While Mer, although have community support was more of a one man project, which we can all understand is extremely hard. Well, I have no problems with it, as someone else mentioned, long as my N810 is supported until something better comes along.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
From what I've read, Mer is dead; Meego, I don't know, too early to say.
Well that's pretty disrespectful, when the Mer project leader, Stskeeps, said above he's commited to Mer for N8xx devices.

And for the other guy, Maemo6 IS MeeGo, and will be the first instance of MeeGo for commercial use, though still retaining the .deb packaging at the moment.. It will be the foundation for MeeGo's Handheld UI, and the Netbook UI will ditch the old Moblin stuff, borrow elements of that UI, and the Qt UI toolkit for its construction, so that both have a familiar feel. The .rpm packaging issue really isn't one. Its just a file format at the end of the day. Just repackage the apps and keep moving.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post: