Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by laasonen View Post
You will get worse quality by re-encoding, not better.
If you mean that a video with a native resolution of 800 by 480 pixels is inferior to a video with a native resolution 1280 x 720, then yes, I agree with you, but only when you display them at their native resolution. If you're trying to say that squashing a 720p video down into an 800x480 screen in real-time is more effective than taking your time and re-encoding it using a system that gives you fine control over the bitrate (such as handbrake), I can't see how that could possibly be true.

If I download video from internet or load it directly from my camera with HEN for example, I don't have even option to re-encode it with my computer.
Perhaps you don't have the right software? Much (maybe most) of what I re-encode is video off the internet.

And size of video doesn't matter that much with device with has 32-64 GB internal storage and support 3 TB external storages
Lugging around external hard drives kind of negates the whole purpose of having a portable media player, doesn't it? I'd much prefer to squeeze more data onto my micro SD cards than be forced to juggle little hard drives around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
You do not need support from Nokia or Ti to get 720p working, overclock and install VLC player and you will have 720p simple as that.
You missed the point: "hw accelerated"

the point is...

Is outhere any developer, to hack the drivers or something? if you don't try it, you never know...

Like the Motorola Defy... and now have 720P working =)

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Maybe the N900 will get 720p with MeeGo 1.2 next month?

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Klein/Spring, Texas, USA
The problem is that the N900 uses the OpenMax IL standard to interface with the OMAP3430's DSP. The OpenMax IL standard only allows one to control and connect "components" ( eg. video codecs ) in the manner that Gstreamer does that run on top of the DSP hardware -- it does not allow the user to interface with the DSP directly. If you want CPU agnostic portable access to DSP functions then the DSP vendor needs to implement the OpenMax DL or "Development Layer." Unfortunately, TI, in the interest of maintaining a stranglehold on companies that are paying big bucks for TI's DSP development tools and NDA licenses for access to said software and hardware, has locked down direct access to their DSPs. The only full Implementation of the OpenMax DL standard that I know for ARM is software based.

See : http://www.arm.com/community/multime...dards-apis.php

You have to register to download the Cortex A8 NEON optimised libraries.

jdb2

Last edited by jdb2; 2011-03-20 at 20:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to jdb2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Are you trying this? Are there any advantage in performance and how install this libraries?

Last edited by hgroove; 2011-03-20 at 19:29.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Klein/Spring, Texas, USA
Originally Posted by hgroove View Post
Are you trying this? Are there any advantage in performance and how install this libraries?
There would be no speed advantage; in fact there would be a major hit to performance as these these libraries are software based. Also, one would have to rewrite all the codecs that used to run on the DSP, but there are already implementations of software based A/V codecs that are optimised for ARM's SIMD media instruction set, namely NEON. The main open source implementation is the ARM port of FFmpeg ( now known as Libav ) .

The libraries I mentioned just make implementing such software codecs easier.

jdb2

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Kladno, Czech republic
Here is betaversion of PanPlayer, player for Pandora console, which has similiar hw like N900 and running Linux.
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/...,0,0,0,114,329
This player uses partly DSP, whis is the same like at N900. It is able play videos with higher resolutions then 840x480 (yes, Pandora has the same).
So.. can this be answer? Is it possible port to N900?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/sdkeu5...nplayer-b4.zip

Binary version. Extract to directory, cd to directory, then ./mplayer.sh "filename".

Untested because watching films on a screen so small just doesn't cut it for me.

I take no credit for this, it's all JDGBOLT's work.

EDIT: Attempted to test but only getting permission denied repeatedly. Don't have the energy to even attempt this today.

couldn't find library libbz2.so.1. Now same but libmad.so.0. *Sigh* libgsm.so.1.

I have a feeling this won't work, regardless of what I do.

I have compiled libgsm.so.1 for Maemo. Now have another library file to acquire.

I'm gonna need panplayer source.

Last edited by Reffyyyy; 2011-04-04 at 07:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reffyyyy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand

Tags
texting