Active Topics

A while back, using localpurge and the Thread that went with it, as per instructions in the first post deleting all the *.desktop files for the apps I'll never use or thought I would never use.

The problem being, after these files were gone, I discovered that links attempting to open any picture or media would cause the system to say the files were not recognized. I managed to fix the picture issue installing Quiver and it became the default program to open images, no editing required in my part.

My problem now is that attempting to do the same with media files have been unsuccessful. MediaBox does read all the media I have but in the instance I want to open a media file real fast, I can't.
I know my media player is still installed but because gPodder launches it every time for its files but want to re-enable the default media player back as the default media player.

Right now attempting to open a media file says the file is unrecognized and have to launch the file through MediaBox to see if it works.

Cliff Notes: How do I re-enable the default media player to open files. I deleted my media player icon a while back.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i guess you could try installing dbus-switchboard.

apt-get install it? or from where?

or Do you by any chance have the .desktop for the media player? Thinking of just dumping it at ~/usr/share/applications/hildon since that's the only thing I touched relating to the media player.

Last edited by Jaygo333; 2010-08-12 at 22:20. Reason: requesting .desktop for media player

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
dbus-switchboard should be available in applications manager.

and if not: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=17757

then download to tablet, and double-tap the file.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Here you go. Added .txt to the file name so I can attach it
Attached Files
File Type: txt mp_ui.desktop.txt (1.0 KB, 97 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to giladmttw For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the mp_ui. It worked, just replacing it brought back the association.
Thanks also for Dbus-switchboard, fixed all my other broken associations through it.

yeahh.. shuld hv worked as these .desktop files have a MIME type defined which basically worked for you after u restored

Now, is there a way to have the MIME type defined to the default player without having the media player icon show up in the menu.

The reason I removed it was because I didn't want the showing up in the app menu.
Thanks again.