Posts: 24 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
Cockburn?

These are actual words my N9 has predicted after me going spack on the jets.
Fwiw, this was with Swype
Eh, A Cockburn is a rather interesting character in software dev, you should not get rid of his name, one of the few authors that makes a sometimes frustrating subject accessible in my opinion.

Sorry couldn’t resist it; his writings on methodologies impressed me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shanic89 For This Useful Post:
Seem like we can add our own engine and input method http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/...ltZnJhbWV3b3Jr

Last edited by Under5hadow; 2012-08-28 at 07:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to Under5hadow For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Under5hadow View Post
Seem like we can add our own engine and input method http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/...ltZnJhbWV3b3Jr
Great find!

Now we just need a dev to jump on this and maybe we will get a great alternative keyboard without the most ridiculous words in the dictionary.. Possibly be able to remove and add only the words we want and use!

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

still have to find someone...... not so easy

Someone have already create an engine for ..... Korean. We can do something similar.

http://meego.gitorious.org/meegotouc...dlerkorean.cpp

Edit : So, I took a quick look at the code and seems not so complicate. I will try to do something but can someone explain how to compile the code to run test on my phone ?

Last edited by Under5hadow; 2012-08-28 at 21:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to Under5hadow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Any achievements on this? French autocorrection became worse with PR 1.3.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Germany
I think the real problem behind the auto-correction issue isn't the dictionary with its supposedly useless words. The real issue is how the correction engine decides which word it suggests based on the currently typed letters.

You can see this very good on arkona's sample, where he typed "hete" but meant "here". His real mistake was that he missed the R letter and instead hit T because it's the next letter to R. If Nokia had put real thinking behind the auto-correction feature the engine would know the real mistake (because for example there'd be a dictionary with common mistyped words). Instead the auto-correction is really dumb. It seems Nokia devs thought the only usage scenario for the auto-correction would be that the user wants to save some keystrokes so they display the a word that begins exactly with the currently typed letters but is longer (the longest from all suggestions?) than the currently typed word.

In fact, this could be an usage scenario. But often (or mostly) you just mistyped a word and want it to be corrected.

Well, after taking a closer look on all suggested words when you type "hete" (in the English keyboard), you get (PR1.3): 1. "hetereosexuality", "here", "bete", "hate". So, actually, the auto-correction engine know about the typing error the problem is it doesn't prioritize this suggestion.

Another drawback of the N9 keyboard is that while typing you only get one word suggestion (you have to tap on the typed word to get all suggestions). As far as I know on Windows Phone and Android you get severeal suggestions above the keyboard and obviously this would be a much better approach for auto-correction since a software cannot always know the appropiate word suggestion.

So, there is much room for improvements and I think editing the dictionary would only treat the symptoms, not the cause.

But I don't have much hope this gets ever fixed.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Best Isaac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Portugal
I think that the diccionary in PR 1.2 was way better... Isn't there a way to just change one to another?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PuCiNhOOO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Wales, UK
Originally Posted by arkona View Post
Just for comedy value, my favourite is whenever I try to type "here" but instead hit "hete" by mistake, it suggests "heterosexual"!? I am certain I have never typed that word in a text/email! I have no idea where it gets that from?

I have to carefully read what is being typed or it could be very embarrassing...
This happened to me almost ten mins ago!!!

I was texting my girlfriend when I almost sent her a text that said "... Yeah I am heterosexual now"... My N9 tries to ruin my relationship!

Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
Any achievements on this? French autocorrection became worse with PR 1.3.
I totally agree with you, the french autocorrection is close to be a crap since PR 1.3. It is maybe possible to change the dictionnary files with PR 1.2 ones ? I don't know if that could work...

Tags
autocomplete, dictionary, keyboard, virtual.fix