i'm new to my n800, not sure how to do pretty much anything, can you guys be more specific. I installed becomeroot, now what? and what is xterm I keep hearing about.

An xterm is the equivalent of a text mode "DOS" command prompt in Unix like operating systems. You will need to install xterm before using any text mode applications on your N800. You can get it from the Maemo Hackers website here:

http://maemo-hackers.org/wiki/OssoXterm

ok sweet got it working, lets see how long it holds a connection for - oh wait thats about 3 minutes only.

How do you gather packets with this now?

I've had it running for 5 minutes so far without any issues. I'm running on the ITS2007 4.2007.26-8 (July release that added skype). I also have the beta connection manager that adds SIP, but I doubt that affects anything.

What I am doing, however, is running it with the device in Offline Mode. This might prevent the connection manager from doing something to cause kismet problems. I'm watching access points on chan 1, 4, and 6 so it looks like scanning is enabled.

I even let the screen go black for a minute and it wasn't interrupted.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
How does one start up bluetooth, connect to a gps, and start kismet all from the command line? I had a script that got blow'd away when i flashed, and dont remember what all it did.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

bobpaul: how long did it eventually run for? I will try offline mode eventually. I don't see a purpose of running kismet on this device though unless I can gather the packets, which i don't know how to do with this. I can do this with a laptop running backtrack and using airodump-ng to tell it to write to a .cap file.

Originally Posted by qwik3r View Post
bobpaul: how long did it eventually run for? I will try offline mode eventually. I don't see a purpose of running kismet on this device though unless I can gather the packets, which i don't know how to do with this. I can do this with a laptop running backtrack and using airodump-ng to tell it to write to a .cap file.

In the kismet.conf file look for the "logtypes" line, about 70% of the way through the file. One of the options is "dump", which gives a raw packet dump. Beware of two potential issues here:
1. In some locations, this could constitute an illegal wiretap. IANAL, and this is just what I've read, but just be careful.
2. I don't know what resources it really takes to write a dump file, say to an MMC card, it may really overload your CPU, drop packets, miss networks, etc. Haven't tried it, just a possible consideration.

Well, I got around to trying the open source driver today, and it doesn't fare any better than the stock driver (with the latest firmware w/ skype). It runs just short of 10 minutes, and then stops picking up packets. According to kismet, it's still hopping channels, but just not picking up anything. I've told the device not to scan for access points, and set the wifi timeout to never through the control panel, so I would think that would take care of power management issues. The backlight going on or off, incidentally, doesn't affect how long it scans for. There's something at a low level shutting down the chipset, whether it's plugged in or on battery, at about 10 minutes.

Incidentally, I happened to be listening to some music while I waited for it to timeout, and it caused the music to pause for about 1-2 seconds, with a CPU spike, while it did whatever it does to power down the chipset. I'll try running top with a fast update the next time I try, just to see if I can catch the process that's doing the dirty work.

Eko1 doesn't carry Kismet any longer -- does anyone know where there are instructions for compiling it or a .deb file available? If I could get a .deb I'd be happy to host that (I'm not sure I know how to host a repository).

Edit: Looks like a couple of people archived this package (hooray!) per this thread:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=156533

Last edited by morgang; 2008-05-11 at 01:53. Reason: Found a debian package for kismet in another thread

The Following User Says Thank You to morgang For This Useful Post: