Posts: 138 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Devon, England
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Source!?

Where did they ever say they'll support the N9, or even the N950? The latter wasn't even supported by Nokia themselves!
They haven't. In fact, they've made it very clear they will not officially support the N9 and N950. They're leaving it up to the community, though I think they said they would support devs aiming to port Sailfish.

I thought they won't support the N9/N950 but they'll let the community build roms for these devices. I hope ICL will be in it as it's pretty much the only reason why I would try Sailfish on my N9.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Eztran View Post
They haven't. In fact, they've made it very clear they will not officially support the N9 and N950. They're leaving it up to the community, though I think they said they would support devs aiming to port Sailfish.
Why would they "support devs aiming to port Sailfish" to the N950 when they have obviously done that port themselves? Virtually every Sailfish demo video was made using an N950. Why force others to duplicate work that has already been done?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Devon, England
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Why would they "support devs aiming to port Sailfish" to the N950 when they have obviously done that port themselves? Virtually every Sailfish demo video was made using an N950. Why force others to duplicate work that has already been done?
The image they've been using for demonstrations is nowhere near complete or suitable for daily use. I believe they said they would release it eventually (I may remember wrong) but it still needs far more work. They're only using N950's as a matter of convenience, until they have their own devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to Eztran For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
They are using the 950 since they mostly all had them to work on already, and they have said many times they can't and won't port to the n9 since it is a nokia device, not a developer device. They can't because it would be illegal, and they won't because they are working on new devices. With the code, we are free to try it, but they cannot support it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to waldo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ London
And lets imagine, we will get our copy of sailfish running on our N9. What applications we will be able to run on it if we want to move on from Harmattan OS.

Without ACL, what ecosystem will be used? N900 apps? Harmattan apps? Mer apps (if any)? This is a bit confusing, this is suppose to come from the same Maemo OS origin/team but so far so much fragmentation. How many excellent applications for n900 not being ported to n9, will be the same for sailfish devices? sight

What is the point of other OS based on Maemo/MeeGo/Mer if none of the previous applications can be easily ported or they wont work in different Maemo based family devices? I thought Qt was going to avoid this from happening, not to make it worst...

sorry for the rant, perhaps i am too ignorant to understand the problem here.

happy new year to all

I agree Waldo. I think that the support issue when it comes to the N9/50 is mostly about legality and contract concerns--Jolla cannot officially support us. But I think that they will do something short of that and make sure that the N9/50 will have a Sailfish experience. They have indicated as much. The real question is about the Android ACL and how long it'll take to get THAT on the N9/50.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Yeah its going to be open source, so I'm sure someone will port it, if people can dual boot android I'm sure someone will do it with sailfish. But I'm more exciting about their device than putting it on the already aging n9.

To be honest if it wasn't for the lower ram, I would rather port it to the 808 than the n9.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Don't quote me on this, but there have been ideas being thrown around about packaging the possible Jolla binary components for N9/50 users who want to use Sailfish.

One of them being the "ubuntu-restricted-extras"/Debian non-free archive approach, where the repository for Jolla binaries components is added, and the packages are installed (at the user's choice, and not pre-packaged into the flashable image).

This approach is comparable to the "GAPPS" package used in certain custom Android ROMs.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
If Sailfish was better than Harmattan I would have cared to have it on my N9.
imo, it is inferior.

About the N900 now... Maemo5 is the best OS ever conceived so who cares for anything else

*of course I'll probably try sailfish on a Jolla device sometime in 2013.

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:

Tags
circle jerk