Notices

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
NB: There is another thread which partly covers this issue (with no outcome at the time of writing this) but I have started this new one and a unique bug report which covers this problem, as the other thread has diverged into a slightly different (but likely connected) issue. (see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54076)

Since upgrading to PR1.2 by flashing and hence wiping the device, I restored my backup (and email accounts). Since then (having set my hotmail to check at 10 and subsequently 5 minute intervals) it has failed to work. Messages are not checked automatically, they don't come through until you manually send/receive an even then that does not always work, or even if it does - not all emails come through.

I have tried deleting the email accounts from my phone and re-entering them both manually and with the guided setup.

I have disabled and re-enabled or changed all of the email settings, with saves in each state to make sure the configuration saved to the phone is being saved (the settings always show up correctly).

My google mail account works fine as does a private IMAP account. This all worked just fine before the PR1.2 update. The problem is exactly repeated on my housemate's N900.

If you have experienced this problem too, go to the bug and vote for it here:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10448

I have a few questions about the bug process... Should this problem be fixed (and it really needs to be as it has rendered email communications inoperable for one of the world's largest email providers - for me and my housemate at least) - how and when would/could it be delivered? Would it have to wait until the next firmware update or is there the option to release minor interim fixes for issues such as this?

Cheers

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stopgap For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
you have my vote hope this will get fixed soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Unfortunately my ISP uses Hotmail servers, and this explains why I haven't been getting any email notifications since going to PR 1.2. This is a major step backwards no longer being able to receive my POP3 email.

My N900 doesn't even appear to be making a network connection when doing a Send&Receive at any level.

I see that the bug Status is RESOLVED and the Resolution is FIXED, but the bug cannot be VERIFIED until a future public update is released. When on earth is that supposed to happen? I mean my device has lost a fair amount of usefulness with broken email.

This ought to be a much higher priority.

In all honesty it would seem that noone but Nokia can resolve this and Nokia don't seem likely to release a bug fix firmware update - they are not that helpful. I agree, it is more urgent - but there's nothing anyone can do but wait.

I would say start a big thread complaining about this to make some noise and draw attention and bad publicity to Nokia to try and force them to do something, but in this forum I'm sure it'd be shot down and labelled as "whining" and "troll baiting".

Hey ho!

Wow, this is indeed a pretty big fault. Guess we must start looking at the alternatives in the meantime. Seems ridiculous thinking about downgrading to PR1.1 just to get POP3 email functioning again. I'm actually rather surprised this problem slipped into the update... clearly rushed and not thoroually tested.

Nokia needs to get a PR1.2 patch out ASAP!!!

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Pärnu, Estonia
I downgraded, POP3 was unusable in PR1.2.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Las Vegas
I too am having this problem, but fortunately I've found a workaround. According to the bug report, the issue has been fixed in a newer Modest build. Fortunately for us, Modest is open source, so I built a package of Modest 3.4.

I've only had it on my N900 for a few hours, but I've been able to do send and receive on my POP3 account without trouble, and I'm also able to get automatic notifications again.

To install my build, you'll have to install rootsh from extras, copy the attached package file to your MyDocs folder and then go into the terminal and enter these things:
  1. Code:
    sudo gainroot
  2. Code:
    cd MyDocs
  3. Code:
    dpkg -i modest_3.4.1_armel.deb

The reason I'm going through all of this is because the package manager, for some reason, refused to install this package on its own, so it has to be done manually. I have no idea why.
Attached Files
File Type: deb modest_3.4.1_armel.deb (400.9 KB, 123 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FreeThinker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Pärnu, Estonia
Good to know you got it working. I´d try it out but I´m reluctant to upgrade to PR1.2 once more. POP3 was only one of the reasons to downgrade.

Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
I too am having this problem, but fortunately I've found a workaround. According to the bug report, the issue has been fixed in a newer Modest build. Fortunately for us, Modest is open source, so I built a package of Modest 3.4.

I've only had it on my N900 for a few hours, but I've been able to do send and receive on my POP3 account without trouble, and I'm also able to get automatic notifications again.

To install my build, you'll have to install rootsh from extras, copy the attached package file to your MyDocs folder and then go into the terminal and enter these things:
  1. Code:
    sudo gainroot
  2. Code:
    cd MyDocs
  3. Code:
    dpkg -i modest_3.4.1_armel.deb

The reason I'm going through all of this is because the package manager, for some reason, refused to install this package on its own, so it has to be done manually. I have no idea why.
Very interesting... is this the exact same program then that comes with the N900 (albeit newer), is it all optified and everything in the form you've posted here?

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Las Vegas
Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
Very interesting... is this the exact same program then that comes with the N900 (albeit newer), is it all optified and everything in the form you've posted here?
Yeah, it's the same program exactly. As it is part of the main system and not an extra app, I don't think that it is expected that Modest should be optified, and this package isn't.

I didn't really do anything special to make this. The packaging came as part of the source, so I just built it assuming that it was correct. I just grabbed the latest stable source from git, extracted it and built it in Scratchbox.