Originally Posted by 2disbetter View Post
Painting an entire industry by a single brush excludes too many facts. Not all American managers, as you put it, are as you describe them to be.

2d
Fair point, but in a situation like this I can't help but draw parallels to overly used generalisations. My apologies too for generalising.

I guess my pov is a little fuelled by articles such as:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07...nifesto_risku/

ofc the reg is the best place to formalise an unbiased view

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mahousaru For This Useful Post:

Originally Posted by mahousaru View Post
I guess my pov is a little fuelled by articles such as:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07...nifesto_risku/

ofc the reg is the best place to formalise an unbiased view
After reading that article, I'm no longer surprised about all the delays releasing the N900. I'm actually left wondering how the N900 did make it to market, considering it was the first smartphone running a free operating system.

Some tidbits that left me pondering:

"To avoid catastrophic nominations no American or foreigner should be the CIO/CCO because Nokia product creation from innovations through concepting to design is very Finnish issue. [...] The CEO's role is to know how the machine runs, so nobody knows it better than a Nokia person."

Upsetting the Finnish way of doing thing would be catastrophic, [Juhani Risku] predicts.

"Americans bring in their own teams and it's a mess after two years."
Only six months passed since that article, ...and now Nokia has an American CEO, that not only brought his own team, but actually his whole company with him... It's like the board of directors read this interview and then decided to do exactly the opposite of what Risku advised, and then some..

Last edited by nephridium; 2011-02-15 at 14:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to nephridium For This Useful Post:
Thanks for this link! ("Rescuing Nokia? A former exec has a radical plan - The Risku Manifesto - now in English")

There were some very interesting insights into the root causes behind Nokia's lack of competent strategies and inability to execute.

To think that only few months after this manifesto Nokia's dead wood board went and hired flop...

The Following User Says Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by exo View Post
Wow...it really does look big when you restrict the range to between the peak and the trough.
Actually it looks worse when you look at the past month. It's been hovering around 11 for most of the time. For a one day drop, that's pretty significant. Any company losing 18% of their stock value in a few hours is a pretty big deal.
Attached Images

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
yeah I guess your a glad American cause one of your big shitty company named Microshit hijacked and just killed Nokia cause Microsoft is soo damn desperate succes with theyr shitty OS!
I believe Elop is Canadian !

The Following User Says Thank You to louiegoat For This Useful Post:
I find it interesting that Elop is planning to lay off the "on-the-ground" people instead of chopping off the incompetent management that is killing Nokia.

It's an unbridled disaster and I'm ashamed that the Board of Directors have done this to a Finnish company. But what can you expect? They did to save themselves, so they can keep going on in their incompetent ways. They get to keep their jobs for a short while bleeding the company dry like the blood-sucking vampires they are.

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Thanks for this link! ("Rescuing Nokia? A former exec has a radical plan - The Risku Manifesto - now in English")

There were some very interesting insights into the root causes behind Nokia's lack of competent strategies and inability to execute.

To think that only few months after this manifesto Nokia's dead wood board went and hired flop...
Looks like a lot of good stuff was thrown down the pan or put out to grass and the competition enjoyed the rich pickings.

I wonder if Juhani Risku was the guy behind the "morph concept"?

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
To people who understand finnish, OPK radio interview from today.
http://areena.yle.fi/player/index.ph...78&language=fi

Strange hear him speak like average guy. Sadness, hubris and a peak at reality on top of mega-corporation. Recommend listening.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Dubai
Oh noes, what will happen to OVI suite and tons of software for maemo on the ovi store? I think they were about to release 3D roller coaster and also turn by turn navigation for N900....I'll really miss those guys /NOT

/sarc

The Following User Says Thank You to sak500 For This Useful Post:

Tags
blame others, buysomethinelse, elop loves cock, few rule many, in the arse, kajko blows, stfu kajko