Posts: 82 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bahía Blanca, Argentina
Hello guys! Today I have 2 problems for you and your great wisdom. The second one has already been discussed but I couldn't find a proper solution.

I recently got a replacement for my old CD-only Volkswagen radio in my car, wich now has Bluetooth, MP3, and other toys. The thing I really wanted was Bluetooth, because I like the fact it can auto-connect to my phone when I start the engine and I can answer calls without pulling over.

Problem number one:

The N9 connects successfully, but everytime it does so, the radio starts refreshing the contacts, and then it crashes with a loud POP through the speakers and it'll turn off and reset all the settings to factory and enter the safe mode (I must re-enter the code).

I discovered turning off Facebook's "chat and contacts" in accounts' settings solved the problem, so the incompatibility are the Facebook contacts. But I like using the Facebook chat once in a while and having my contacts in the phone.

Problem number two:

After it has successfully connected and synchronized contacts, the system automatically sets the input to the A2DP stream, so my radio mutes everytime it connects to the N9. I have to constantly change the input back to the FM radio or the SD card everytime I get into the car, wich is ANNOYING AS HELL.

So, anyone with some ideas to solve this?

Thank you as always guys!

Regards

1100 >> 3220 >> 5310 >> 5230 >> N9

Last edited by Hambert; 2013-09-26 at 19:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hambert For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
To me this sounds like something you should complain to VW, really.
The bugs seem to be in the car's media system and not in your N9

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Supporting juiceme's answer.
Please try it with another phone?

But it might come back to the N9, but then only in conjunction with your car's electronic (quite old standard, as in all cars). Some combinations just do not want to work together, even when working with different cars/handsets.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
I've tried it also with my mom's 5310 and worked perfectly. A2DP doesn't turn on unless you add the radio as an audio device I think.

The bug is in the N9 as it's not logical to switch to an A2DP stream when there isn't any playback going on. If I hit play in the music player it does switch to A2DP again and that is indeed correct.

I think the confirmation sound harmattan does when the "connected to x device" sign shows has something to do with this. Is there any way to disable that sound and see if it stops switching to A2DP?

Anyone? I love the BT feature on the new radio but having to change the input everytime drives me mad...

Hambert,

I can describe what happens with my VW, if it's of any help.

- N9 has BT turned on always, and has been setup to connect automatically to the car
- Start the car. Even if the radio is off (it is usually off), it will come to life as the phone connects, with the display "phone" and then turn itself back off. If the radio is on, it mutes the radio, displays "phone" and after a few seconds, goes back to the radio.
- If there is any audio at all from the phone (notification beep for SMS, email, some location triggered change in profile from Profilematic, GPS turn by turn directions), the audio will be piped through the car's stereo system. Even scicalc's keyboard clicking sounds are piped through the stereo.

I recently bought another car which has bluetooth capabilities. I haven't tested extensively, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as the VW so far.

Btw, my VW doesn't have the ability to sync contacts. After reading your posts, maybe that's a good thing

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ NC USA
Which VW radio do you have? or is it aftermarket? and more importantly, which BT module?

See this thread for help: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=260897

I have a 2012 Gold Tdi w/ the RNS-315 and it all works perfectly.

The Following User Says Thank You to fongo For This Useful Post:
Hello bigfatdeal and fongo, thaks for answering!

The radio is the original equipment that comes with the same car (a Volkswagen Gol Power) in the latest models. Mine is from 2007 and had an horrible only-cd system, so i bought the new one via the local eBay and replaced it.

The model is the "1-DIN Mid NLP" manufactured by FAMAR, an argentine company licensed by the international DELPHI. This model ships with many current VW cars to latin america and méxico, so it's pretty common around here. Is a very good, cheap, and complete system, I've found posts in a german VW forum trying to get info about it, as they were surprised by all the things it can do and the price, all of it coming from OEM equipment.

Here's the product page: http://www.famar.com.ar/prod-audio-1dinmid.htm

And the manual (spanish): http://www.famar.com.ar/servicios-manuales.php

It's known they used to send firmware upgrades via email that you can run in the radio via CD, but they doesn't seem to be responding to my email, as I've sent 3 so far

I've read about the same problem with the same phone and the same radio, and other radios also. I'm confused and I don't surely know if it's a problem from my phone or the radio

How do I search for the BT module info? I have to open it and see the circuits right? I can do it, warranty is not a problem, but is it worth the work?

Thank you SO MUCH for your help guys.

PD: I'm i little sad as three days ago a motorbike ran into my left side. Luckily the guy is fine but my precious has to go to the paint workshop

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ NC USA
Hambert iirc that thread I linked has some tips for finding the BT module; you shouldn't need to open it up to find out which one it is.

Hi again guys, i have news.

The manufacturer has responded my emails. They said the Facebook contacts problem is due to special characters, including the @ of the email adresses, so it crashes. No problem on that side, i dont mind not having the FB contacts on the phone.

About the A2DP problem, they said thats because the phone is transmiting the "hands free" profile at the same time that the A2DP,
so the radio gives priority to AD2P and nothing can be modified in the radio to stop this.

They said the only way is to disable A2DP in the phone, so the last resource i have is you guys. Anyone??

thanks and more thanks!!

EDIT: Fongo, it does not have an external module, now i see what you mean. The BT module is integrated in the system case itself, and the microphone pops out in the front lid under the volume key.

Last edited by Hambert; 2013-10-07 at 18:13.