I'm feeling very dumb asking this, but I'm trying to understand just what Google Voice support amounts to.

I've enjoyed using GV + Gizmo on my PC for some time now to make and receive free phone calls to/from phones in the states - this was particularly handy abroad. I have read here that there is built in google voice support and SIP support. However, I have not heard of a gizmo port (yet) to the N900. This leaves me wondering: out of the box, given a 3G or wi-fi connection, will I be able to place and receive free phone calls, no minutes used?

I was under the impression reading several of the articles that the answer was yes, but I wanted to ask in more certain language before I went and burnt through all my minutes and racked up an insane bill. TIA.

The Following User Says Thank You to bocaJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
I'm feeling very dumb asking this, but I'm trying to understand just what Google Voice support amounts to.

I've enjoyed using GV + Gizmo on my PC for some time now to make and receive free phone calls to/from phones in the states - this was particularly handy abroad. I have read here that there is built in google voice support and SIP support. However, I have not heard of a gizmo port (yet) to the N900. This leaves me wondering: out of the box, given a 3G or wi-fi connection, will I be able to place and receive free phone calls, no minutes used?

I was under the impression reading several of the articles that the answer was yes, but I wanted to ask in more certain language before I went and burnt through all my minutes and racked up an insane bill. TIA.
Google Talk to Google Talk.
SIP support is in... just have to configure it for Gizmo (SIPphone.com).
Never used Google Voice... but I would imagine it should work.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-10-06 at 02:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post

Yes. And you don't need a Gizmo client, Gizmo is part of the SIPP standard, and the tablet comes with built in internet calling software (using SIPP standards!). As long as you make and receive the calls on the wifi or 3G connection it won't burn up minutes.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Welcome to GoogleVoice use!

As has been mentioned, I highly recommend using a regular SIP client rather than Gizmo. It makes life a lot easier in terms of programs open, etc.

Oh and Dialcentral can be pretty nice, which I would hope I would say seeing as how I'm the main developer on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Google voice integrates really well into gizmo now but unless you use a different provider I don't think its free anymore. I am using google voice with gizmo call out credits and it works pretty well. I was reading one of the guides here talking about free calling and I think they were using a free sip provider along with gizmo and gv.

Edit** - The third provider if I read it right was sipgate and here's the thread I was referring to: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...t=google+voice

Edit 2 - Just signed up for sipgate it's free for the first 60 minutes then you have to start paying. Unless there is some trickery involved looks like no free calls. Gizmo is pretty cheap though....

Last edited by stuzor; 2009-10-06 at 04:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to stuzor For This Useful Post:
Gizmo is also free I believe. If you make the call using the Gizmo client then you have to pay after three minutes (make as in you type in the # or use the Gizmo client to start the phone call process). But if you make the call from either DialCentral or the Google Voice webpage then it's free.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stuzor View Post
Google voice integrates really well into gizmo now but unless you use a different provider I don't think its free anymore. I am using google voice with gizmo call out credits and it works pretty well. I was reading one of the guides here talking about free calling and I think they were using a free sip provider along with gizmo and gv.

Edit** - The third provider if I read it right was sipgate and here's the thread I was referring to: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...t=google+voice

Edit 2 - Just signed up for sipgate it's free for the first 60 minutes then you have to start paying. Unless there is some trickery involved looks like no free calls. Gizmo is pretty cheap though....
stuzor, like laughing man says, gvoice is free within the us. go to the google voice mobile webpage, sign in, dial, and the call is free. gizmo will call you back with your connection if you have opened it, otherwise the tablet client will.

The Following User Says Thank You to wesgreen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
GV does give you a free telephone number but that number ends up forwarding to your land line, cell of SIP telephone number. Your carrier will charge you for that forwarded to connection as they normally would. If its SIP and terminates on a computer there will be no charge like a SIP to SIP call. To me the biggest advantages with GV is that you can keep that number even if you change carriers and that your GV voice mail can be heard or viewed as text. Speech to text technology used isn't perfect but it's nice to have. I forward my GV to my cell and will get SMS notification of missed calls.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
just use straight sip and your own provider for sip termination. the only thinng google voice is good for is receiving sms which is still kind of hard on your own.

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:

Tags
google voice, maemo 5