Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by MiK546 View Post
Open application manager, press Update and then update (upgrade) the program to the latest version.
Thx a lot ! it works now

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Italy
upgraded to 2.0-2maemo5... still no music. Apart of that, the game works well. big thx to Aapo!

Bug report: when I start a new game choosing "start with empty board" or "start with random village" the game crashes...

Last edited by dgls82; 2012-04-17 at 20:07. Reason: bug report

The Following User Says Thank You to dgls82 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
i have a question concerning http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?fu...&group_id=2929 - have you tried using opengl es (there is even opengl es wrapper for sdl, made by javispedro) insted of opengl or just disabled whole opengl stuff? i would love to try rewriting opengl code to opengl es (as your changes to rendering pipeline are mostly commenting out stuff - and removing one directory which has pretty small files), at first it looks not really hard to port. just wanted to ask if you tried - maybe you know more and it's not worth wasting time

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
GL -> GLES is far from trivial. While code that has 'if( getConfig()->useOpenGL )' parts might support pure SDL (as is the case here), rewriting the GL parts is a huge task. You are welcome to try (not only here, there are tons of apps that could use GLES rewrite, would be very thankful). Aapo is awesome by noticing possibility to compile something which has GL stated as requirement and being able to bring it to GLES device such as N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
It's not even guaranteed that you will get faster blitting using OpenGL ES.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
GL -> GLES is far from trivial. While code that has 'if( getConfig()->useOpenGL )' parts might support pure SDL (as is the case here), rewriting the GL parts is a huge task. You are welcome to try (not only here, there are tons of apps that could use GLES rewrite, would be very thankful). Aapo is awesome by noticing possibility to compile something which has GL stated as requirement and being able to bring it to GLES device such as N900.
Don't get me wrong, I know it's not trivial. I've spent 10 minutes to review his changes really quickly and noticed there are only ~10 files which need to be edited (including ones which require only #include<SDL_OpenGL.h> line removal), and I've done some OpenGL ES programming in the past (mainly 1.1, but also some 2.0 including custom far-from-standard shaders), so I may use my free time to code for Maemo again (I was inactive for almost an year now on this platform, I'm sorry, Guys). Aapo - great work, as szopin said I wrote this post simply to ask if you, Aapo, know about any blocks of code (apart from ones mentioned by you in link quoted by me previously) which may relay on getConfig()->useOpenGL check, because you know the code already.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
It's not even guaranteed that you will get faster blitting using OpenGL ES.
Do you think it's not worth trying? I hate not to use hardware acceleration when it's available and could be used, maybe it would be worth just to put less stress on the cpu and more on gpu? offtopic - could you update OpenTH thread with some information about new releases? The game reached next stage of development, so maybe you could announce it again and advertise more here on TMO? great work javispedro and great thanks - for all your work on entertainment software on Maemo platform!

edit 2 : Oh, forget the CorsixTH part - now I see there was some activity in that thread, I've just missed that.

Last edited by misiak; 2012-04-18 at 00:21. Reason: new response from javispedro, silly me

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
@misiak:
It would be great if you could port Lincity-ng to GLES! I'm not sure if it's worth it from a performance point of view but it would be a nice learning experience to know if GLES is faster than pure SDL. So from an academic point of view it's definitely worth it.

Just for reference, I had a look at the source code myself some time ago and I wrote it down here [1] in the penultimate paragraph. But I guess you already know what I've written there.

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...04&postcount=7

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
i have a question concerning http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?fu...&group_id=2929 - have you tried using opengl es
These are only modifications for dropping openGL. I didn't even tried to use openGLES. Feel free to investigate with it. I have no idea would it be faster or more battery friendly (but I'm interested in results). I think upstream would be also want that merged.

OpenPandora has Lincity-ng with 'experimental openGLES', but I didn't find it source code (source code points only to the upstream version), and I haven't contacted author (lincity-ng is GPL, so sources are somewhere).http://boards.openpandora.org/index....77-lincity-ng/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
@sulu - yeah, i've noticed all opengl functions are in files from one directory, and these files are referenced by other files only few times... they look quite simple, there are only simple poligons/lines, textures and some viewport matrix simple operations (these can be tricky, but even if something is not supported, it doesn't mean it could not be rewritten with little effort )

@Aapo - thanks for your reply, one last question - did you publish your patches somewhere? (i mean, the first 4 of them are in the first post, but are other modifications also published as patches somewhere?)

it looks like I have what to do with my free time during next weekend

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
@Aapo - thanks for your reply, one last question - did you publish your patches somewhere?
I just pushed them to the gitorious, opening post updated.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post: