Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and prey
We don't get fooled again

Meet the new FOSS
Same as the old FOSS

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
I would not be too surprised to see QT dumped from tizen.

The shift to HTML5 signalizes cloud (nice name for rent-a-software/service) approach. I think there is no place for QT there.

EDIT: corrected spelling in my 666th post.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-09-28 at 08:52.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
lolers

remember how when meego was announced ppl were laughing about "noooooogo" ?

seems they were right...

no wonder we are the laughing stock of the mobile word - non stop change in direction wasting everyones time and effort in learning deving in qt to switch tracks

what a ****ing joke - its like a circle jerk with no one minding the bottom line

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
We only need open boot loaders (some phones have it, others can be rooted) and better Linux distro support for ARM. Then you could buy the phone you want and install Ubuntu (or whatever) on it.

I think that's the way to go.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
I would agree, except that IMO we need to go Open Pandora way, and design device "from scratch". Recent fail of Cordia project seems to prove that.

Designing hardware isn't easy, but is very rewarding. Anyway, if we want something done right, we need to do it ourself.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I would agree, except that IMO we need to go Open Pandora way, and design device "from scratch". Recent fail of Cordia project seems to prove that.

Designing hardware isn't easy, but is very rewarding. Anyway, if we want something done right, we need to do it ourself.
If you want to make another try for an open source phone (see OpenMoko,) I might start by creating a case that has a usb based cell/data module and antenna built in. Have this combined case and module certified. Develop everything else as a separate non-cellular device that has this case as an "accessory." Upgrade components in the non-cellular device as needed.

Not sure if this would fly, but I think this approach is the best bet to not falling too behind on the component curve.

Kickstarter might be a way to raise enough money, but I've never used it.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ the praeternatural tower
from
http://www.allaboutmeego.com/news/it...Mo_to_form.php

What role for Qt?

The future of Qt in relation to Tizen is uncertain. It was not mentioned in any of today’s press releases. The Tizen website does make reference to a native development, but does not provide any further details. Instead HTML 5 is promoted as the development environment of choice and in an elastic piece of thinking is given as the reason for the need to evolve MeeGo.

However, Qt is a key component in many MeeGo related projects (e.g. part of the reference design for the GENIVI alliance for IVI devices) and, as noted above, Intel have indicated that there will be backwards compatibility with existing MeeGo netbook applications.

It seems likely that politics has a role to play here. Qt came into the MeeGo project from Nokia. Despite recent moves towards open governance, is still very much associated with Nokia. Intel were unhappy that Nokia switched to Windows Phone and the member of LiMo (including Samsung) may prefer to avoid mentioning or relying on what is perceived to be a competitor's asset.

In our opinion the likely scenario is that Qt will continue to play a major role in Tizen projects, but it will not be promoted as part of the core primary developer environment. Qt may be included as part of the default offering or it may be left to integrators to provide a version of Tizen with Qt. A possible example of how this might work in practise comes from Nomovok, who today released a press statement indicating that they would provide a version of Tizen integrated with Qt as part of their Steelrat system.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nyrath For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
LOL. "mostly" HTML5 besides a small percentage of apps. Hello... webOS...? Good night, good fight Meego. Seriously, i'm tired of this ******** every few months. This isn't much different than Nokia in changing directions. They can stay with their ecosystem ******** for now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:

Tags
tizen