Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
At least here in germany more and more shops are selling the Nokia N9. Only very few for a high price, but at least this fact is a success in a country where is absolutly no advertising made for the N9 but a bunch of expensive for the Lumia 800.

They are selling those devices not without a reason. They are selling it because there is a demand for the best mobile Nokia has ever made. Not everyone wants a iPhone clone. But many wants a option to Android!

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Until the UI/UX and other bits outside of the kernel has threading and is implemented on a real multiple-core piece of hardware, that's speculation based on the kernel. At the kernel level, iOS supports threaded and multiple cores - took until now for it to do so.
I don't think it all have to be multithreaded to take advantage of multicore, just concurrently running processes should do enough good, especially in Harmattan with true multitasking. After all it's standard linux (including X11), so unless they did something horrible wrong, there should not be any problem to run it on multicore processors without large changes.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
So you think there will be zero improvements to WP7 in the future? No new content to whatever their appstore is called?
When did I say that? The improvements in the first (last) year in WP7 were much less then after one year of iOS

No matter how much iOS has improved, it cannot match (yet) with microsofts cloud systems.
That is just your opinion.

When looking to the past now, it is obivous that there were signs in couple of months that correlate very strongly to the success. This is just a strong indicator for the fact that you are the one who needs to study more economics.
No the signs were already there after the launch. It is you who did not see the signs. Your the one here who needs to study more economics.
Even after more than a year WP7 is nowhere.
You were still wrong with your "2 years". May be you should learn how to read a graph.

Edit: You sound like a Microsoft evangelist (troll), plugging msft products.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Last edited by The Wizard of Huz; 2012-02-03 at 09:09.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
At least here in germany more and more shops are selling the Nokia N9. Only very few for a high price, but at least this fact is a success in a country where is absolutly no advertising made for the N9 but a bunch of expensive for the Lumia 800.
Ummm, notebooksbilliger.de had the lowest prices on the N9 since its release, often even outmatching gigantti.fi. Germans/Austrians could have it cheap for months...

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
When did I say that? The improvements in the first (last) year in WP7 were much less then after one year of iOS
you just didn't mention it thus suggesting that windows won't improve from current situation

That is just your opinion.
yes it is. onenote makes my life really easy just like access to xbox live on the go.

No the signs were already there after the launch. It is you who did not see the signs. Your the one here who needs to study more economics.
Even after more than a year WP7 is nowhere.
You were still wrong with your "2 years". May be you should learn how to read a graph.
Are you serious? I had signs for right numbers to every lottery of the world to week 4. Shame that the correct numbers can't help anyone now. (please stop, you'll embarass yourself without even knowing it. this is standard market hindsightness just like "I should have bought nokia stock when they made rubber boots and sold them when N95 was released").

Edit: You sound like a Microsoft evangelist (troll), plugging msft products.
fyi: I have N950 and lumia 800, I prefer N950 but there are many things implied million times better in WP7..
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2012-02-03 at 09:53.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

So... Harmattan supports multiple cores, has great Skype integration plus video calls, full NFC (swp inclusive) implementation?

Until the UI/UX and other bits outside of the kernel has threading and is implemented on a real multiple-core piece of hardware, that's speculation based on the kernel. At the kernel level, iOS supports threaded and multiple cores - took until now for it to do so.
I think I dont agree much here. Its cruel to even begin to compare harmattan-meego with wp in multitasking. At kernel-level i'm sure all of them do some multitasking, true thats not the discussion.

On the app-level, even in the most basic multithreading, if you are running on a multicore processor the threads are automatically going to get divided by the processor to run on seperate cores, you dont have to do anything to tell the processor how to share the load. And you even have those apis which you can use if you want to specify which core a particular thread should execute on, but I think from a phone's perspective that will be a rarely used scenerio. As I understand (never programmed for ios), ios actually has stuff programmed in it to stop stuff from running at the same time to give a smooth user experience. They have special APIs that the programmer can use to tell the OS "hey i'm doing some special stuff in this method and please keep it running (even if at low priority) when this app goes background". Android must have such stuff in it too (not sure), specially coded to give a smooth user experience, but way better then ios i'm sure. (Although, seperate discussion, my friends were showing me their multicore android devices, was some lg phone dual core 1ghz, they had custom roms loaded, and the 3d desktop lagged a lot. Again, seperate discussion.)

Now when you talk about meego-harmattan however, as I understand (I have never used N9) there is nothing preventing one application to execute its code regardless of what any other app maybe doing. You dont have to code harmattan UI/UX to support multithreading for, say, notes/some-irc-app/gpodder/leafpad/some-console-app/multiple-web-pages/calendar/conversations-im-sending-recieving-messages etc etc to be able to work all at the same time.

For all I know, even today in 2012, harmattan-meego is the best platform to utilize multicores. Period.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think microsoft(ballmer and Elop) and nokia planed the windows mess back in 2008 and Elop planted Ossipena as a mole back then. This plot goes deeper and deeper...

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
I think microsoft(ballmer and Elop) and nokia planed the windows mess back in 2008 and Elop planted Ossipena as a mole back then. This plot goes deeper and deeper...
oh man, I am now totally busted!
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
well well well...
isn't that being overly dramatic, now?
this sounds like posts from (disillusioned) m$ fanboys, now trying to unload their frustration on NOKIA...
NOKIA still is the number ONE (dumb) cell phone maker
it certainly isn't as profitable as Vertu, but it still sells...
Nokia lost US$1.4 billion in 2011. Symbian sales are falling in double digits every quarter. The crazed Elop won't sell N9 in all markets. Sales of dumb phones are dropping as users switch to smartphones and their profit margin is thin anyway. So you expect Lumia to charge in and carry the day?

Let's get some perspective. Europe is WP7's best market. Despite huge promotion and incentives and banning N9 from competing with WP7 it only sold a dismal million units if Elop is to be believed. N8 with a sunset Symbian os sold 4 million in its first quarter. Lumia will have a harder time outside Europe as the rest of the world doesn't care about WP7. Overall WP7 has a global share of less than 1%.

Slapping a Nokia label on a WP7 phone isn't going to make any difference. There is no hardware, software or price breakthrough in the Lumia. Why should users start loving WP7 just because of the Nokia name? As a brand name Nokia is not even cool or trendy. It is like what Volvo is to cars - dependable but boring.

I expect Lumia sales to be depressed outside Europe including the U.S. Maybe Nokia can sell a few million a quarter overall. In 2 quarters Nokia will be on its knees looking for a white knight to save it.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Ummm, notebooksbilliger.de had the lowest prices on the N9 since its release, often even outmatching gigantti.fi. Germans/Austrians could have it cheap for months...
Yes, but in my opinion it is a big difference if you can order it online if you exactly know what you want or if it is aviable at a normal big electronic market in the city, visible and aviable for undecided people who want to test a device themselfes before buying.

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows