Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Which is generally for the best, since your average user has no business nosing around in /etc or /lib. In fact, I'd say this is wrong since you do have the Bash shell. It's not a GUI, but if you need a GUI to browse the greater filesystem you probably shouldn't be messing with it.
This is elitist nonsense, something that many people here believe in, unfortunately. I remember how happy I was when I got Xtree, many years ago. It gave access to all files on my DOS computer. It didn't hurt me.

Even those loathsome "average users" like to learn about their computers. Sure, they are complete slime, but knowing the truth and being able to deal with it doesn't hurt.

And it's equally nonsense to criticize the N900 for not having a system wide file manager. That's because you can download maybe half a dozen of them in just a few minutes. Judging a system on the basis of how it comes to you is a lazy journalistic trick giving rise to a nonsensical evaluation. Everyone adds things to everything, and the ultimate way of judging systems is how they work in the real world.

Originally Posted by nidO View Post
I'm not fully sure what point you're making - Whether the lack of a feature is "for the best" or "a fast dying feature" or "could totally be added" the fact remains those features arent there.
My point is that they're largely not of concern, won't happen, or are just confused terminology. I think OP's reaction is mostly due to the rush job that the current iteration of WP7 is.

Yes, some of the functionality can be added through additional software, just like it can on WP7.
If and only if you pay MS $100 per app (ok, $20 for free apps with a limit of 5) to get it listed in their store, on top of being restricted to what is possible via .NET.

Yes, some of it can also be fixed through updates, however barring the community SSU it's highly unlikely Maemo will ever get any more, whereas MS have committed to improve WP7's functionality pretty promptly.
I think the better point is that Microsoft's policies towards WP7 are far too oppressive for what the OP wants in a device, and with MeeGo coming up the N900 is the only platform open enough to do what he wants.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
This is elitist nonsense, something that many people here believe in, unfortunately. I remember how happy I was when I got Xtree, many years ago. It gave access to all files on my DOS computer. It didn't hurt me.
Well, IIRC you can install Midnight Commander if you really want it. Or even build and make xtree available for users of the N900. But really, a learning curve is called for and thinking that people should try and learn something before wandering into the innards of a system is hardly "elitist."

Even those loathsome "average users" like to learn about their computers. Sure, they are complete slime, but knowing the truth and being able to deal with it doesn't hurt.
Don't shove words in my mouth. Lack of a GUI doesn't prevent learning, it simply raises the bar a bit since if you want one, you need to find and install one. You want a system controlled by elitism, go look at iOS.

Last edited by wmarone; 2010-11-02 at 16:56.

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
it is only at frequencies higher than that it will go above standard operating voltages
No the highest voltage used by Titans kernel is that of the default Nokia kernel at 600mhz, even at 1150.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
If and only if you pay MS $100 per app (ok, $20 for free apps with a limit of 5) to get it listed in their store, on top of being restricted to what is possible via .NET.
For what it's worth, Microsoft did dramatically lower this a fair while ago - Marketplace registration is now $99 per year, which lets you submit as many paid apps as you like and upto 5 free apps at no cost, with $20 being charged for every free app after the first 5.

Originally Posted by nidO View Post
For what it's worth, Microsoft did dramatically lower this a fair while ago - Marketplace registration is now $99 per year, which lets you submit as many paid apps as you like and upto 5 free apps at no cost, with $20 being charged for every free app after the first 5.
I suppose they realized that abusing developers worse than Apple wasn't a good proposition considering their position in the market

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Microsoft have already announced their intentions to fix most of the current limitations of WP7 within the next few months at the most.
As someone from another forum said: You came to my restaurant and order a pizza, after 30 minutes i came with a half of pizza and tell you that i will bring you the oder half next week but ask for money now.
And yes i am angry on microsoft for abandoning windows mobile instead of improving it and fix its bugs.

Just a note on that, your E90 probably has a duff battery if that's the kind of life you get out of it - Mine lasted (and still does) 4-7 days per charge depending on usage, with wifi and bluetooth enabled constantly.
Do you use gps,play games for hours?

When he's using that list as a reason to not buy a WP7 device
I would buy a windows phone 7 device only if i could boot another os on it (meego,ubuntu,android,even symbian)

another questions:
Is there any software to open autocad (.dxf files) on the n900?
Is there any ocr(scan text with camera) for n900?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
No the highest voltage used by Titans kernel is that of the default Nokia kernel at 600mhz, even at 1150.
Really? I was looking at the settings in overclocking profiles installed in /usr/share/kernel-power-settings/, the default profile has the voltage set at 60 for 600MHz up to 1000MHz, and 72 for for 1100MHz and 1150MHz.

So what are you telling me, that the default voltage for 600Mhz with Nokia's kernel is 72 and installing the kernel-power-settings package changes to 60, or that despite what is in the profiles Titan's kernel won't let the voltage go over 60?