Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
and I thought meego is a stupid name.
It's not the name that counts, its the strategy.

After crippling or at least delaying further development of Maemo / Harmattan in 2009 / 2010 Intel repacks and transfers the MeeGo virus into Tizen project and releases it on Samsung.

Samsung was on the verge of adopting WebOS but MS and Intel decided to weaken another competitor by the same successful MeeGo strategy. Samsung has swallowed the bait.

The real intel deal with Nokia was not in MeeGo but a long term strategy to bring Wintel to the Phone Area for good under the Nokia brand by end of 2012

Hence the delay of the Nokia Windows Phone of course, they need to ready the hardware , it has still some power consumption issues

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Tizen is not hot... is extremely HOT!!

Linux foundation, Intel and Samsung...come on guys this is what we waiting for since Nokia kick our *** off

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -Tyler- For This Useful Post:
Tizen will provide a robust and flexible environment for application developers, based on HTML5 and Wholesale Applications Community (WAC).
Actually the WAC looks interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wholesa...tion_Community

Its the right direction. I doubt web apps can replace native apps in the near future tough.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Reinventing the wheel again ...

Delaying again ...

Changing the APIs and frameworks again ...

I only want a Debian/Ubuntu mobile computer. Today the only choice is the N900.

The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Yes, I hope Qt won't get sacrificed in the process.
No Qt in Tizen. Documentation on transitioning Qt applications will be published in due course, according to Dawn Foster on IRC.

Not good news IMHO - Qt was what made MeeGo interesting. HTML5 as the only development frameworks is going to be a disaster for several years to come, it may (MAY) be the future in several more years, by which time nobody will give a rats @rse about Tizen.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by -Tyler- View Post
Tizen is not hot... is extremely HOT!!

Linux foundation, Intel and Samsung...come on guys this is what we waiting for since Nokia kick our *** off
Yeah right. At the speed of Intel's development it will be released in 2016 and first device ships 2019.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bbin For This Useful Post:
Nokia did good not advertising the N9 as MeeGo phone, but as the first one in the new generation of Swipe phones.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Willem Liu View Post
Maybe Nokia did see this coming and switched to WP7 just in time...
Nokia saw that Nokia was going to kill Meego and switched to WP7 just in time before Nokia killed Meego.

The Oracle of Espoo.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
IMHO Tizen is a stillbirth. I wonder how many "professional" distributions else the community should support? Maybe it is time to fork what we have (maybe meegotouch) and build something really working without the help of a commercial friend.

(Maybe build the (!) meegotouch-compositor plugin for swiping and a new meegotouch-home thingie working with it).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Samsung and co. obviously don't want Qt, too much nokia in it.

Anyway, I've given up on the hope that "open" really works. Companies don't trust each other, they cooperate and develop in the "open" as long as they benefit from it, which is obviously never the case for market leaders, only for followers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
déjà vu, tizen