Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
First of all, interest in this project never annoys me As for new connector, of course, it will be "bonus feature", i.e. it won't replace standard antennas. It's going to be additional possibility, but you won't be forced to have external antenna connected every time You want to use any radio capabilities.

Precisely speaking, it will be one, standard antenna mini-connector - with three cables on the "inside" of body, that are to being connected into hirose U.FL ports on board. This way, depending on external antenna connected, You will have either Wifi and bluetooth (both are 2.4 GHz, so same antenna works well), GPS, or Cellular signal boosted. Generally, ranges wary so much, that different external antenna will be required for those three applications, but is it possible to DIY construct special, fractal antenna, with max resonance tuned for those 3 frequencies at once. Which is my plan to do after finishing this project

No worries, I won't allow FM transmitter (or any other) signal to be reduced. All internal antennas are going to work fine. It's yet to be decided, if I'm going to re-use existing ones (they're easily removable from case, during disassembling), put into special "sockets" in new body (by every user, during moving N900 to new body), or if I'll be forced to re-create internal antennas, but for sure having them working fine is a must.

Furthermore, I'll try to come with a way to allow external antenna connection for FMTX too, despite limitations - hoever, here I can't promise anything, yet.

---

BTW, as for FMTX power, have You tried using jacekowski's modified fmtx binary, together with kernel-power? It should allow You to have transmitting set to max permanently (even when device is connected to charger). In my case, it allow for absolutely clean transmitting across few rooms (walls), or to car following me on road (with some distortions at the latter).

/Estel
Thank you, all clear that internal antennas will all fully work after this
I believe I have not, I will try it, I am still on kp42-wl (the injection one) so I will hopefully update to something reasonably new this summer when I have time to restore it if it bricks

The Following User Says Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
UPDATE: the damm 3000mAh 18650 battery's i got are FAKE.... i finally had the time to test them to begin the test for Estel's XXL cover idea using 2x 18650 for cheap and 6000mAh+ battery.

The battery's i got i tested to only 1000mAh....

So now i have to source some other 18650 battery's.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
BTW, as for FMTX power, have You tried using jacekowski's modified fmtx binary, together with kernel-power? It should allow You to have transmitting set to max permanently (even when device is connected to charger). In my case, it allow for absolutely clean transmitting across few rooms (walls), or to car following me on road (with some distortions at the latter).
Sorry for dragging this slighty of topic.
I am probably wrong, but I was under the impression kernel-power had the modified fmtx with it (since power42 IIRC). Also the reason for FM-boost to be obsolete with KP installed.
Is this correct?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

AFAIK no - kernel-power have power boosted to 120 (max), but no unlocked fmtx (that work in full FM range).

But I may be wrong on that.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
As promised, I've took few photos and videos of CNC machine

It's nothing nothing spectacular as per "eye candy", as it is only "planning" some wood... The main interesting thing about it, is that it shows progress in milling precision. Basically, after every major upgrade, I do "planning" of single wood plate, and later, measure - via micrometer - how precise it is, compared to theoretical precision possible using this driver and LinuxCNC software.

As seen on video, theoretical precision is 0.0001 millimeter. Precision in practice, hoever, was more like 0.05 mm. It wasn't very good, for purpose of our project.

Fortunately, thanks to absolutely awesome support of Maemo users, I was able to modify machine with better parts and upgrade design. Especially, I've just got enormous fund injection from Mentalist Traceur - we've made some nice agreement, that concluded in him basically financing purchase of premium quality, linux compatible CNC driver board (made by one awesome CNC DIY engineer) and all parts required to benefit from it's first class specification.

Thanks to this, + awesome people that either pre-ordered or donated (many times amounts, that I would never expect, making me want to work on this even much harder, to properly "exploit" this support ASAP, for project's benefit), I was able to boost actual precision to 0.005 mm now. After arrival and integration of other parts that I've ordered, I expect as good results as 0.001 mm.

This final number is absolutely sufficient precision, for milling thing like body replacement, without risk of defective units - it also allow to properly fight (mentioned earlier) aluminum volume changes due to temperature (via "finishing" passes, that need to be very precise).

Finally, why only wood is milled on those photos? First, it allows to cut costs on material used for tuning tests, second - due to negligible thermal volume change, is one of best materials for measuring and confirming precision (via micrometer). After arrival of other parts and final assembly (+ confirming, on wood, that everything is OK), I'll go back to testing on metal, and finally, to milling prototypes

Videos:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs6...xcnc-diy-cnc-1
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs6...xcnc-diy-cnc-2

Huge thanks again, for every pre-order and any donation!

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Just found this (can't believe it's escaped my attention until now) and I'm definitely interested and excited for how it all turns out!

Best of luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fawz For This Useful Post:
I'd like to see the videos, but I'm getting this message:

You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by rfeese View Post

This is a guess but are you trying to watch on your N900?

You can't watch Flash with N900 browser try to search dailymotion on cutetube

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rfeese View Post

I wanted to upload in on Youtube, to allow watching on N900 (well, all photos and videos were took and uploaded via N900, too), but apparently, Youtube doesn't like me or my videos:

Apparently, they know better than me, if my videos are copyrighted, so I had to choose other service.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2012-07-17 at 02:37.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
are you gonna sell wood cases too for people who want a lighter n900, just curious.

The Following User Says Thank You to Changegames For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel